flaky ceiling

Hi,

A few years ago I stripped the ceiling in my kitchen back to the plaster (it was flaky) and painted it again, with ceiling paint (homebase's own, IIRC). Within 3 months it had started to flake again. I guess it is something to do with condensation, but basically, the paint isn't gripping the plaster of the ceiling at all. (I have since installed central heating which helps a lot with the condensation problem.)

Now I'm trying to do something about it, and am in the process of stripping the flaky paint. The question is, what next? My options seem to be:

  1. Skim the ceiling then paint again
  2. Paper the ceiling then paint again
  3. Apply some sort of sealant/undercoat then paint again 4. Paint again

(1 and 2 would involve paying someone else to do part of the job).

Any ceiling painting advice gratefully received,

hannah d.

When I had a plasterer look at a crappy artexed ceiling last year he said it would be cheaper, quicker and easier to board over it and skim it, and give a much better and longer lasting finish. That and skimming the walls (15ft x 12ft ish) cost me £450.

Mike E

Reply to
MJ

seal the ceiling with polybond(pva adhesive) first then paint

Reply to
stephen.parker567

Apply battens 50mm x 25mm at 450 centres and overboard with plasterboard use 1800mm x 900mm for ease of use, screws rather than nails and finish with plaster skim or artex,when painting the new plaster make sure you size the plaster first,end of flaky ceiling.

Reply to
Alex