Flaking and blistering masonry paint - Part 2

Hi guys. I previously started a thread about painting masonry paint on masonry sills. The sills previously had gloss paint on them which caused problems.

I finally did something about it this weekend and scrubbed off what i could and then took a blow torch to the remainder and fried the lot

*lol*.

Having got to bare masonry, well it's left with some chalky white stuff. I will wash down what's left and go over with some sandpaper.

Do i now need to use any undercoat? or can i go straight ahead with masonry paint (which hopefully won't flake and blister this time round).

Many thanks for any comments in advance.

Reply to
lavenders19

If you don't get past the chalky stuff you'll want to treat it with stabilising solution before you paint it.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Use an oil based paint. Standard "masonry" paint is water based and won't last long on sills. Good idea to check that the surfaces are smooth and running away from the house. Puddles are the main cause of damp on, and under, sills. Car body filler is ideal for shallow filling

Reply to
Stuart Noble

pliolite paints are 15 yr life rated, versus household oil based paints with a 3 yr life. Figures approximate.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

ok thanks for the comments so far guys. i will need to use stabilising solution and some good quality paint.

many thanks to all who contributed.

Reply to
lavenders19

For "good quality" read pliolite solvent based paints. All the big trade firms do them, with the possible exception of Dulux

Reply to
Stuart Noble