flags over concrete?

Hello, my garden has this somewhat ageing and unattractive concrete space. I have now come up with the idea of laying down flagstones over the concrete, so as to save myself hacking out a pretty substantial space of concrete. Is that feasible or will the flaging suffer from the concrete underneath. I would certainly put sand onto the concrete first before putting down the flags of course. The flags could then be pointed to fix for good. Related to this: how to tell good quality flags from bad ones? Fred

Reply to
Fred

I would have thought that the concrete would provide an excellent base for the flags, provided it is firm, level and covers the entire area required.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Watch out though, if against the house, that the raised paving doesn't breach the damp proof course of your walls or interfere with airbrick vents.

-- Adrian

Reply to
Adrian C

In article , Christian McArdle writes

Why use flags? How about decking.

Reply to
zaax

Perhaps because it is the outdoor equivalent to laminate flooring? i.e. instantly fashionable, dating rapidly?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thanks for all the good points. Part re the damp proofing and air bricks.

Decking is great - for adults. Children don't ride their trikes over decking that well, they loose small toys between the gaps and cutlery disappears in frightening speed. Been there, done that. In our case, the space is pretty substantial - about 44 sq meters. It's what some estate agents call a chelsea style garden - surrounded by walls in other words. A full decking would, in our opinion, look rather odd over and above of being rather unfriendly to young children. Besides, how do you fix decking to a concrete floor underneath? Fred

Reply to
Fred

OK not decking, but just not boring flags - make it interesting.

Use wall plugs as you would when putting up a picture or shelf, or use these[1] and epoxy them in

[1]
or
zaax