fixing wall plate

need to fix a 12' x 6" x 2" timber to the face of a wall to hang joists from

what fixings should I use in brick and stone and at what spacing ?

I can't slot the joists into the wall because it would mean removing some huge stones and it's a party wall so don't want to disturb next door's inner wall

thanks

Reply to
SoWeezy

Rawl bolts about every foot if its carrying a lot of weight?

The3rd Earl Of Derby

The3rd Earl Of Derby

terms of studs epoxied or mortared into the wall, and the whole thing bolted up tight. With maybe even an epoxy bed...behind it..

It all depends on the wall. Rawlbolts are superb into straight concrete into which and accurate hole can be drilled..or even brick,but stone? Hmm.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

joints in crucial places

but thanks anyway (c;

Reply to
SoWeezy

Is it safe to drill into it? What is the stone? Can you supply some background infornation, e.g. what the (new?) joists are for?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Rawlbolts, one every three feet is more than adequate...you should use about

5 on a 12ft timber, this will easily hold up anything you care to place on it. Yes, I have used them on sandstone in the past, and they are still there after 23 years
Reply to
Phil L

?iProductID=12550However the issues regarding the type of stone and whether the wall is flat enough for the timber to sit against are the same regardless of the anchor type

Tony

Reply to
TMC

yes

the REALLY hard stuff (c;

just to put a floor in the loft for storage, I'll be using 4 x 2 joists with weiroc (sp) floor boards

the roof timbers are only 3 x 2 so I thought it best to run new joist perpendicular to, and slightly raised above, the current roof/ceiling timbers

thanks

Reply to
SoWeezy

What, though? Granite? Oolite? Chalk? Slate? Marble? Flint? Hertfordshire pudding-stone?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

no idea... I'm not an 'ologist (c; it's Welsh stone, possibly waste from the mines tis done now, only had to drill through one rock, the rest fell just right for the bricks

Reply to
SoWeezy

Sorted, then. It could be slate, or limestone, at a guess. Well Done getting it fixed.

P.S. Please sort out your quoting now (no offence intended).

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Yep, I did exactly that for a joist a couple of years ago - it was fantastically solid, and they'll never get it down without the wall coming too.

Slightly messy part was lifting the timber onto the studs (which were all slightly skewy depending on how they'd set - next time I'll tap 'em straight with a hammer first) whilst trying not to touch the wet resin which was buttered onto the back of the joist.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Why was there resin on the joist? Contributes very little.

Reply to
Chris Bacon