fixing tube to wall

All, I am constructing a u-shaped shower curtain rail around my strange shaped walls, and need to fix some of the following tubing so that it comes out perpendicular to the wall (there will be two of them, joined with a cross piece to make the U) http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id 703&ts737 The wall will be tiled but if I'm quick I can attach to the main wall and then tile round / over any fixing. Any thoughts ??
--------------665976903E0464D83F6F9D45 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Neil Catley wrote:

I could use something like this: http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts 050&id771 But is there anything sturdier that would provide better grip on the tube ?? It has to hold it there using just one attached end - not be between 2 of them (i.e. as in a wardrobe)
--------------665976903E0464D83F6F9D45 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
--------------665976903E0464D83F6F9D45--
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 09:42:11 +0000, Neil Catley wrote:

I got a chrome tube shower rail from Focus/Great Mills which came with all the appropriate fittings. The wall fixings are a brass socket which is screwed to the wall (single screw in the middle). The tube is then held in place by a grub screw (positioned at top so out of sight. Also had corner pieces to make an L or U, and rods to support the corners from the ceiling.
I can't imagine that cantilevering the whole thing from the wall would be too successful once you add the weight of the curtain in the closed position.
--------------3649DB1119FB3FF28ED1CD9D Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
John Armstrong wrote:

Thanks for the info. But, if you have supports going to the ceiling, you cant have a single shower curtain - I want to use rings round the rail, not a track beneath it. Is there any way round this (other than the obvious of having 2 curtains joining at the point where the support attaches (lots of water leakage onto the floor !!??)
--------------3649DB1119FB3FF28ED1CD9D Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
--------------3649DB1119FB3FF28ED1CD9D--
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 10:41:24 +0000, Neil Catley wrote:

Mine does have a single curtain. The rods from the ceiling have a hooked end, so they actually support the rail from underneath. The curtain rings are J shaped and clip over the top. They are slightly stiffer than I would like, but OK.

Sounds good - and maybe exactly what I need. Have you got the end pieces fixing into tile ?? If so, is it OK ?? If not, do you think they would hold OK ??
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 10:55:11 +0000, Neil Catley wrote:

The two ends are fixed to tiled walls (fixed through the tile to the masonry underneath). The fixing screws are hidden inside the end supports, so you can use a reasonable size screw, rather than a smaller screw for appearance. The ceiling supports also help, as these will be taking a big portion of the weight. The ceiling rods go into a fixing that matches the rail end supports. Next question is if these are still available. I got mine around 2-3 years ago. Was about 40 for the set I think (without a curtain), probably before Focus took over Great Mills.
John Armstrong wrote:

thanks again for the info - I'll pop in over the weekend and find out. Chances are though that they will be available elsewhere - maybe on the net if not in local shed.
Neil Catley wrote:

I recently got a kit which sounds identical from John Lewis. Made by Croydex. Note in the older kits the connecting bits etc were brass whereas the rest is chrome. This may not have swmbo appeal ... Now they are all chrome and the grub screws have improved.
John Armstrong wrote:

Does this look similar ?? http://tinyurl.com/sze6
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 11:24:55 +0000, Neil Catley wrote:

Yep, looks the same.