Fixing toilet on "solid" floor

Hi all,

Don't know if any of you recall previous posts - but now about 50% through a major bathroom overhall - lots of issues along the way - but so far - so good!

Room gutted. New tiled floor laid. And need to fit a new toilet.

But - the floor tiles are *SO* hard - I can't drill the sods! Wasn't an issue when fitting as could diamond-cut them and all pipes were at the edge.

But the toilet has brackets you fix (screw) to floor - then screw the toilet too. But there is little chance I can drill these holes in the floor. (Tried on test tiles with decent drill and bits.... and only just started to make a dent!!!

So - thinking of alternative means. Thinking that I could use clear silicone sealant as a glue around (under) pedestal and use that to fix to the floor? Is that suitable? Any other options?

Cheers!

Reply to
ryanjjones

It works. I had a similar problem. The screws were not lomng enough to go through the bog, the thick tiles, the cement layer and into the chip underneath without pulling out.

I laid it on silicone, put in one screw that held, and left the other three.

Its fine.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Have you tried a diamond tile bit yet?

to choose from here,

I was a dubious about drilling a hole in a tile, scared of cracking it, used one of the little drills and it cut through it like butter and it felt like there was no danger of the tile cracking

Paul

Reply to
Paul ( Skiing8 )

Hi! Sounds like we've had frighteningly similar weekends and you've beaten me to post exactly the same topic. :-) I spent a large part of Sunday reading through Google archives and various tile drilling web sites so here are some of my findings...

Floor tiles are much much harder than wall tiles and (unfortunately) normal

3 quid tile drills do NOT go through them like butter :-(. Floor tiles seem to be rated for hardness, from PEI0 (or is it 1?) to PEI5 (5 being the hardest). The ones I've just laid are PEI4 and I've got at least 6 holes to drill through the buggers - 4 for the toilet and 2 for the basin pedestal. Potentially I've got another SIXTEEN to drill for the bath - that's just not going to happen so I'm in the process of coming up with a 'plan B' for that one.

Anyway, I tried my 'old' 6mm tile drill on an off-cut - it dented the surface but wouldn't get much further than 1-2mm through the tile - that was WITH copious amounts of water. It was at that point I started searching 'round the net and found these:-

was prepared to spend £25 on a single 8mm drill bit BUT not another £40 for the arbor and £20 for the water cooling kit - especially since each bit is only likely to last for around 15 holes (according to the Armeg web site).

SO... went off to B&Q and bought a new normal 6mm tile drill and 2 x 10mm tile drills. The 10mm bits were £9 each but I figured even if I have to buy a few of them it's still cheaper than the Armeg route.

The trick is to keep the drill on a really low speed and use plenty of water. Stop regularly to allow the bit to cool - you can also create a little water reservoir around the hole with putty or the like (I used a water spray). If the bit gets too hot it'll be knackered and you'll be £9 lighter. Even so I'm not expecting to get more than 3-4 holes out of one bit. Took me a good 6-7 minutes to drill a single 10mm hole but it worked on the test tile. The final w/c holes need to be drilled at an angle which will add to the fun. Oh, and conveniently enough, our main gas pipe runs directly under the floorboards where the toilet will be sitting so I've had to buy special bolts that are exactly the right length (as opposed to the w/c fixing kit type ones, which are hopeless for a tiled floor). Yet to try it 'live' but will doubtless report back with findings...

...that's after my thumb heals from when I accidentally drove one of the notches of the tile trowel under the nail. :-|

Andy

Reply to
Pecanfan

LOL!

I can cut through wall tiles - but as you say - the floor tiles are like rock.

The weekend wasn't all work though - see

for another "how not to...." photos. (involving thinking "I wonder what happens if I lift off less than last time....").

I do have tile drills, and do have decent variable speed drill - and tried everything - water/hammer/non-hammer and got nowhere :( I was hoping there would be another alternative rather than back to screwfix again :(. Hoping sealant would be sufficient by itself......

I'll pop to B&Q and take a look there.... Its lunchtime afterall!

Cheers!

Pecanfan wrote:

Sunday

searching

another =A340

Reply to
ryanjjones

Nice one - very jealous! Got a rally driving day coming up though, if I ever get 'round to booking it... :-P

I wouldn't like to guarantee silicone on it's own would hold for any length of time unless the toilet is really carefully sat on - fine for yourself but not something you want to impose on your mates etc. - especially if they're of a 'larger' build. I was considering contact adhesive or something, but that might be a bit *too* permenant. That's my get-out plan though.

Probably too late, but just so you know they don't do anything better than normal tile drills.

Good luck!

Andy

Reply to
Pecanfan

Pah, try a glazed sink. I nearly fried my sds drill drilling it.

Cheers,

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy