Fixing to concrete fence posts?

Hi all,

We have been 'repairing' (where repairing has so far meant 2 x new concrete posts, 2 x 12" gravel boards and 2 x 5' panels) nextdoors rear fence (as he lets us use his garden) but it's sorta expanded a bit to the end of the party fence between him and the next next door neighbour. Neither of them care what I do (as long as I improve things ) [1] but now I have a new post ending the run of panels down the party bit a couple of feet from the (new) post that joins two panels across the back ally fence (so forming a 'T' etc). The place we bought the gravel boards from say they don't supply 'T' posts any more (too large / heavy) but 'common practice' is to fit an 'End' next to the 'Inline' in the same hole. ;-(

So, rather than breaking out the newly Postcreted hole, I've read it's acceptable to (carefully) drill / plug these concrete posts and therefore maybe fit 3 of the little 'U' section metal fence panel 'clips' and use them on the alley fence post on one side and the std 'inline' post slot on the end of the party fence line?

I can make a gravel board from a 2' concrete slab (good excuse to buy a 9 Angle Grinder ) that can be set in the ground and sit on the concrete post mounts so that will take all the weight of a 2' wide by

5' high cut-down panel and so the load on the screws in the concrete posts will mainly be in shear (wind loading).

So, what does the panel think please?

Cheers, T i m

[1] And this is partly for me as 1) I use his garden and 2) I'm going to put a shed / store up at the bottom of the garden so a) had to do something with the old fence that was falling to bits, b) won't be able to get easy access to all this after any shed is up and c) don't want anyone else damaging my stuff when 'they' try to fix any of it (you wouldn't believe what others have done before me). ;-)

p.s. We pulled some fair size chunks of concrete out of the ground in and around this fence project. The next day and before we thought about lugging them up the dump and mate called who I don't speak to that often on the 'scrounge' for any concrete / hardcore / soil as he was filling in an old fishpond in his garden. "Yes of course you can come round now and take it away ...!" ;-)

Reply to
T i m

"T i m" wrote

Some concrete posts have a couple of decent size holes in them already. For hanging a gate on, I used bolts throught these holes to secure a wooden post up against the installed concrete one. Do your posts have holes already and if so can you use this method to help with the junction?

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

As these do but unfortunately in the wrong plane. ie, they go through the post in the slots rather than across the post in the plain faces (well, so it seems anyway).

Yes, this is how the back gate is hung ... on wooden 'post's (they are actually nearly 4x4"!) coach bolted to / though the concrete posts. In fact on the fence-side post, the coach bolts went through wood, concrete, wood and when I took one wood off to use the slot in the concrete I cut the seized nuts off the bolts with a cutting disk on the mini angle grinder through the post then put a 10mm thread on them to suit the new shorter role ).

I was thinking that rather than drilling holes in the posts I could use another of my favourite d-i-y things and glue (bond?) the U brackets with the full-fat Gripfill or CT1?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m