Fixing timber to ceiling

Hi all. I need to fix 2 short lengths of 46mm square pine to the ceiling (newly skimmed) Could I fix them in place with a few blobs of plaster and support to them until it cures?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Davao

No this is not safe. Use screws through the timber an into the ceiling joists. Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Only if you want them to drop off after a short time! Try screws.

Reply to
Ian

Arthur,

Generally not a good idea to fix 'em with "a few blobs of plaster" - there's no real strenght there for that use.

If you really want to stick them to the ceiling, I would suggest that you strip a couple of squares of plaster skim from the ceiling back to the plasterboard (where pine is to be fitted) and use an adhesive such as Unibond "No More Nails".

Remember though that this stuff will not support any great downward load (the paper covering on the plasterboard will tear) if you intend to use the pine to hang things off - the same applies if you screw the pine into the 'middle' of a lump of plasterboard.

Let the group know what they are to be used for and then the correct advice can be given.

BRG

Reply to
BRG