Fixing timber post to patio using studding?

Hi all,

I would like to fix a decorative 4" cedar post (part of a railing) to a ter raced patio. I have seen it recommended on this group that I could use meta l rods fixed into the base of the post, and sunk down into the patio, so th at the fixing is invisible. It will be fixed along the edge of the terrace, so the studs can go through the paving, and into the 400mm thick retaining wall underneath. My questions:

- Rebar, or stainless threaded rod, or something else entirely? 12mm?

- How many? 4 evenly spaced?

- How far into the timber and the base should the studding go?

- Will the stud fix (Everbuild Anchorset probably, as it's easy to come by) work in the timber side as well as into the concrete?

- Should I put some spacers in under the post to lift it slightly clear of the ground to prevent water getting trapped there and rotting the post?

many thanks,

dan.

Reply to
dwtowner

[...]

If it is along the edge of a terrace, the best way is to fix the post to the face of the retaining wall. This gains maximum space and means the post is not likely to rot through being buried. There are metal brackets available to do this. The pose needs to go down the wall at least a couple of feet (below the upper "ground level")

Reply to
harryagain