Fixing small things

I spend a lot of time fixing things to walls, curtain poles, blinds, mirrors, pictures etc. I carry a pretty comprehensive range of fixings & screws on the van - the fixings & screws supplied with the item invariably go straight in the bin.

Fixing large items isn't a problem, its small stuff that causes the agro, the cleats supplied with binds for example - this sort of thing;

are 75mm, but the ones supplied with the blinds are smaller. Problem is you are drilling two holes in the wall very close to each other. In plasterboard they are inclined to join together & in masonry they often crumble. Fixing with one sound & tight screw leaves the cleat able to swivel & the client perceives it as 'not done properly'.

Best solution I've come up with is yellow plugs, 5mm drill & number 6 screws. No good for plasterboard of course & I can't find smaller plasterboard fixings.

Any ideas?

I've found this Fischer Wet'N'Fix product which seems like the answer.

Anyone used it?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

> These are 75mm, but the ones supplied with the blinds are smaller. Problem

A piece of 2x1x1/4? wood drilled and fixed to wall and wood stained looks good. Then you just screw the cleat to the wood. You'll have to make a few up in your spare time though for future jobs.

Reply to
George

For little things like that you could always use 'proper' screws to fix a small piece of ply to the wall (maybe sand / smooth the edges and even paint if you;re feeling really 'posh') - and then screw the fittting to the wood.

If you went that direction - you could even have a bag-full of these on the van....

Following on from that idea - why not Gripfix them to the wall. If it's only for light loads then it should be fine....

Nope !

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Not a bad idea that, I have some off cuts of hardwood I could use to make up some. Cheers.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Chamfer the edges and it'll look real pleasing to the customer.

Make sure you hide the wood securing screws if and when possible?

ps its what the Victorian handymen done in times gone by. ;-)

Reply to
George

Try using standard PB fixings and putting the yellow plug inside as a sleeve take the no.6 screw. Has worked on occasions for me Fix and tighten one side and use the other hole in the hardware as a guide for the drill with a 3mm bit.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Fixone properly and just put something in the other hold to stop the cleat turning?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

For ages I've been glueing small plugs in with foaming polyurethane glue [1]. Moisten the hole somehow (outdoors I use a water pistol!) and then dip the plug in the glue and shove it in the hole. Works a treat.

If you're on a posh surface, lightly press a strip of masking tape downwards for a few inches under the hole just in case it dribbles.

[1]
I happened to have half a bottle left over from a job.
Reply to
Skipweasel

You don't need that long, wrapped URL, it j^Hworks with

Andy Burns

> These are 75mm, but the ones supplied with the blinds are smaller. Problem

Would it help in some circumstances e.g. plasterboard to drill the first hole, insert plug and screw and then drill the second hole? You won't get the problem of there being a weak 'side' when you drill the second hole.

Reply to
PM