Fixing shelf in fridge

I am looking at the possibility of mounting an additional shelf in our fridge as the existing mounting points have really inconvenient spacings.

The plan is to make suitable sized mounting lugs/rails out of hard plastic and then attach them to the side walls of the fridge.

The question is whether there is a suitable adhesive that would make a secure bond to the plastic interior of the fridge.

Or would the sides of the fridge be thick enough to hold a few self-tapping screws?

JimG

Can you see and markings (e.g PP, PC or a number in a triangle) to indicate what type of plastic it is?

Doubt it's much more than a mm, and if pierced you'll let damp into the insulation, which will hasten the death of the fridge.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Double-sided foam tape, if you have a reasonable surface area. You could probably use plastic angle for the brackets.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Have checked and can't see any clue as to what type of plastic it is. It is a Samsung make but I guess they all use a similar plastic these days.

Reply to
JimG

Hi Syd, I'm not familiar with double-sided foam tape. Is there a brand name you suggest? And is it tthe sort of thing that B+Q would have? Thanks

Reply to
JimG

Can you make "hooks" that hang down from existing mounting points, to support the new shelf ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Looks like it'll do the job. Make sure it's lined up properly, you only get one shot.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

I might consider fabricating new "shelf Hanger" strips. U

I am suggesting you fabicate two NEW shelf hangar strips. I am not sure how to best (easiest) replicate that new Shelf hanger strips. Maybe 1/2 inch wide, soft aluminum. Cut the vertical "Shelf Hold" slots on a drill press, then true those slots with a Dremel tool. Hang the new strips, using the origianal door mounts, using threaded L Hooks. Use a few flat washers as a spacer, to provide a space for the shelve hooks to attach. The new strips, while hanging from the original slots, would have spacing to your liking.

Reply to
Dave C

Looks good, Wickes sell PVC angle

or aluminium for more strength

Reply to
Andy Burns

Somewhere like Lakeland / Scotts of Stow often have expanding / stacking shelf inserts, usually suggested for use in kitchen cupboards to make better use of space, but they'd probably work ok in a fridge.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

afaik it'll be (toughened?) polystyrene, so attacked/soluble in most things.

Could you put in some bridges between the existing supports with mounting in the new position and the shelf holding the bridges apart?

Reply to
PeterC

If you Google VHB (very high bond) tape you should find the kind of stuff they use to bond glass to the sides of that tall building in Dubai

Reply to
Murmansk

Well, it depends on the fridge. You would need to be mindful of the issue of damaging anything behind the side walls, and remember you do not want to compromise the insulation or let moisture into it. The different expansion parameters of the materials etc need to be thought out. but otherwise, I see no real issue. Not sure I'd rely on glue on its own though. Have you thought of using some kind of attachment on the shelf itself to lift the shelf? at least that would not damage the fridge, just the shelf. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Things like self-adhesive towel hooks are surprisingly tenacious when applied to walls - maybe as a result of the sheer angle factor. Basically to fail they'd have to slide down parallel with the wall. They'd probably be even better on the smooth sides of a fridge Not sure if they make similar shelf brackets otherwise suitably butchered with a hacksaw, a few of these towel hooks might do the trick. Hold a dummy shelf in position in order to position them. They're also cheap enough to practice on first although in this instance I'd probably avoid cheapo pound shop ones.

Double sided tape.

You don't need high strength tape for this. As the sheer angle (if that's what its called) is at (0) degrees experiments will show you that its very difficult to dislodge anything held at this angle. See above.

This however is assuming that the sides of the fridge are perfectly flat, or that the brackets conform exactly to the sides of the fridge. Which being rigid they wont. Even flexible plastic angle can't be made to conform to a curve with buckling somewhere or other.

Drilling holes in the fridge.

Before attempting this, cut both of your arms off above the elbow so as to minimise irreparable damage to the fridge.

Other options.

Two 9mm ish clear perspex* panels cut to size, the depth of the fridge and around the height you want the extra shelf from the shelf below. Assuming 5.9mm glass, route two 6mm channels 6mm deep 2cm from the top of these panels which with the shelf fitted in the grooves rest on top of the moulded profile of the slot below, or failing that, the shelf itself. Providing the whole thing is a tight fit the panels will stay parallel to the sides without any need for fixing. However this again assumes the sides of the fridge are perfectly straight which may not necessarily be the case - hence the width thought necessary for mounting brackets etc.

michael adams

*other materials are available

michael adams

I've not direct experience, and it does feel wrong, but I saw this stuff advertised on the TV in Germany as suitable to support shelves:

RJH

It should have been "shear" angle.

Basically for things hanging from a hook all the force is downwards and parallel to the wall. So the whole of the self adhesive surface is taking the strain.

If somebody was "imaginative" enough to mount a single ended cantilever shelf bracket using this stuff then all the shear would be at the top of the self adhesive surface and the shelf would fall down before it was even loaded. With a totally rigid shelf supported at both ends, then as with the hook all the force would be downwards and parallel to the wall and the self adhesive surface.

michael adams

michael adams

I'm going to give that 3M double sided VHB tape to bond plastic lugs a try. Meanwhile, many thanks for all the ideas.

Reply to
JimG