Fixing my router to Trend table?

Hi, my Trend CRT MK2 router table arrived yesterday. Eat your motor out Meccano! Being the vague, round about sort of chap I am, I deduce that my Elu MOF 98 router is the (E) MK2 version because the holes in the fixing plate line up that way. I'm further instructed to fix the plate with 2 of M6 x 10mm bolts supplied. They don't fit the existing holes in the alloy base. Please can anyone tell me, is it an M6 tap I need? What is the ideal drill size to precede this?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

yes you need a set of 6mm taps, the hole size (from memory) will be 4.8mm (as it will be alloy you can use 4.5mm) you use the pointiest tap first, then the one with more teeth, the one with teeth to the end is not really necessary in a hole that goes right through. Best to get a tap holder rather than use mole grips or similar. Cutting oil is a nice luxury, some thin oil will do fine, although it will tap ok with nothing.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks, done!

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Bit late now, but IIRC my one came with a large collection of different screws to suit a variety of routers...

Reply to
John Rumm

So did this one, along with a fixing plate like a swiss cheese (No, I didn't consider fondue). :) The chart on the box defined the router, the specific fixing plate holes and the screws (M6 x10mm). After attempting all other possibilities and finding that none of the other screws fitted, I reluctantly followed the manufacturers instructions and tapped to enlarge the appropriate holes in the router base. Consequently I now have a warm glow of inner grace from having religiously followed the narrow path, coupled with the thought that some structural weakness and vibration may result from both fixing screws being south of the centre line. Perhaps with such a large expanse of fixing plate in contact with an equally large area of router base, this positioning of the fixing screws is quite adequate for the task.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack