Fixing loose door frame

I have a door frame that has come loose in the surrounding brickwork. I am hoping it is possible to drill a smallish through the frame and then into the brickwork, insert a thin wall plug type fixing which I can then screw an ordinary screw into and hold the frame firm. Does such a narrow plastic wall fixing exist? I seem to remember having something like that in the dim and distant past but have had no success googling for it. Any suggestions?

Keith

Reply to
Keefiedee

Sounds like you want frame fixings

something like these

(I'm sure you can get smaller packs)

Reply to
newshound

Multi Montis are brilliant (I'd forgotten they came with countersunk heads now). You do need to drill the right sized hole in the brick, though.

newshound

Don't bother. Use a long multimonti.

Reply to
dom

As others have suggested, a direct-to-brickwork screw which needs no plug is probably the way to go.

. . unless the gap is big enough and accessible enough to inject a generous quantity of Gripfill into it.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Frame fixing of some sort as suggested. I would also suggest prising off the door stop and placing the fixing in the centre of the frame such that they get hidden when you put the door stop back.

A few other tips here:

John Rumm

In article , Keefiedee writes

Plenty of advice on fixings from other responders, just watch out for overtightening of the fixings, it's very easy to pull the frame out so that the door becomes a sloppy fit. If there's any hint of this happening then it's time to strip off the architrave on one side (that's inside or outside, not left or right) and put packers between the brickwork near the fixings to keep the frame spacing right..

Reply to
fred

I wonder what they'll be like after being installed for 5, 10, 15 years and you want to get 'em out again? It doesn't take much corrosion to stick something metal *very* firmly into masonary(*). And don't say they are coated, yes, but will that coating survive the thread cutting?

(*) Some one has used a big nailgun on a few things in this place. 3"

1/8" dia or so nails into concrete. Will they come out, will they F. I've managed to get one or two out (more less having to dig the concrete away) and they have been only very mildly corroded.

Plastic plug has enough "give" to take up the expansion from corrosion and doesn't stick in the same way as masonary does.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If they're Hilti nails, that's what I'd expect - that is after all what they're meant to do, *securely* fix to concrete and steel.

Reply to
dom

I've taken some out without any problem after two or three years outdoors (trellis support). Not much corrosion, from recollection. I have some recycled ones in my toolbox and these have no corrosion at all (they were bolting something down to the slab inside some wooden stables, relatively dry but presumably no DPC)

Reply to
newshound