Fixing hinges to wall

I've got a wooden gate (6'x3' flimsy pine, about 15kg) and I'm going to fix it to a solid brick wall edge using 3 T-hinges. The latch will engage in a non-too substantial wooden post.

Is it best to fix a batten to the wall, and screw the hinges to the batten? Or fix the hinges direct to the brick?

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
Rob

Batten to the wall first. This allows your to put the hinges exactly where you want them rather that where the holes wander to in the wall.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin