Fixing gate posts to a granite wall

We have a metal garden gate hanging from a metal post which is attached to a granite wall. Fixing is by bolts through the post into wooden wedges in holes in the granite. Over time, the bolts and wood pull out of the holes. I'm sure I read here a few weeks/months ago about an epoxy system of fixing bolts in similar holes. Cannot now find the thread. Any clues?

Thanks!

Reply to
News

In article , News writes

This one?

Try this:
's more expensive than other resins but you can use a standard sealant gun to dispense it so you save if it's just a one off job.

Use solvent cleaned stainless studding cut from a metre length with stainless nuts and washers, cropping off the excess studding. Align the post on the studs before the resin goes off completely.

Reply to
fred

Try the Fischer website for funky details

$MART-HK-$MKAT-HK-$MPG-CHEMIE&ekat=$EKAT-HK-EN&path=$MART-HK-$MKAT-HKBut for this, cheap Screwfix Resin and stainless M10 or M12 stud (or cut off bolts) would work very well.

Drill 12mm hole, use tube to blow out *all* the dust, or a little tiny "bottle brush".

Inject resin - usually 1/2 fill the hole. Ram stud in (I wash in meths first to degrease). Stud will stay put after 5-10 mins, boltable in a coupl of hours, full strength in a day.

The tricky bit is aligning the studs. one method is to prop the gate up at the right height and position and use it to align the studs.

another is to make a little template out of thin wood drilled to match the hinge holes. Remove wood after 5 minutes and trim excess resin if any, before it befomes set like steel.

If your needs are unusual or demanding, Fischer will have a resin mix just for it - but the cheapy stuff is OK for medium loads. A2 stainless is a bit bendy compared to steel which is why I'd go to M12 for a gate. You could use the special zinc plated resin studs in M10 or M8 if you have several per hinge - but they tend to be expensive for what they are. I wouldn't use plain steel because replacing them will be a PITA if they rust enough.

Reply to
Tim Watts

No need for epoxy if you have an SDS drill. Use self cutting masonry bolts.

to pull a sailor off your sister....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

yeah, or use car body filler.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Have you tried them in granite?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sailors?

Reply to
Dean Heighington

In message , fred writes

gate, post, bolt, epoxy - should have used resin, not epoxy.

Yes, a one off job, so looks ideal.

OK. The job is to attach the gate post to the wall. The holes are already there (in the wall), and the holes in the post align with the holes in the wall, so, squirt the resin in, push the bolts in the resin, then hold the post against the wall, with the bolts through the holes, to ensure everything lines up whilst the resin cures.

Thanks!

Reply to
News

In article , News writes

You're welcome, glad you're sorted.

Google groups isn't what it used to be, the only reason I found that thread again was cos I knew I had contributed so could search via my details.

One thing, you said bolts, did you mean studs? You really need to use studs so you can nip up the tension once the resin fully sets (24hrs). You can't nip up bolts set in resin so the post will be or come loose. Socket fixings are available for securing into resin and then bolting but you'd never find them in the common suppliers and the cost would be ridiculous.

I also noticed that stainless nuts & washer are a bit pricey and only avail in quantity so fine to use plated and add a dab of paint. Still good to use stainless on the studding tho' as it's only 5quid a metre in M10.

Reply to
fred

In message , fred writes

Yes :-)