Fixing featheredge fencing.

Will be starting to fix a 5ft high fence next week and have a few questions which i hope are not to stupid.The post will be 3*3inch, rails 4*4inch. Rails will be fixed to the face of the post. Question 1: Do i concrete all the 6 posts before i nail the rails or nail the rails then concrete.Daft question 2: As i am right handed do i start from the right to nail the featheredge to the rails.

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
Bodge

3*3inch posts a bit marginal for a 5' fence I would say. Make sure they aren't spaced too far apart.

They are usually fixed flush with the face of the post.

I don't think it much matters. The rails could help the posts all stay vertical with fewer extra supports. Personally, I would use metapost spikes. This will more than double the life of the posts. I used the hammer in spike type, but you can get ones to be concreted in instead if you prefer.

Bare in mind the featheredge is likely to shrink a lot across the width. I did a featheredge arris rail fence some 20 years ago, and although I had plenty of overlap, after a year or so, most of it had gone in shrinkage. Other than that, the fence is fine, and the only maintenance required was replacing the one concreted-in post. All the original metaposts are still fine (actually they were "Fensock", which are much better quality than today's metaposts, but I haven't seen them around for a long time now).

Also, you need access to your neighbour's land, as you should conventionally be putting the featheredge on their side if it's your fence. Otherwise, you end up giving your neighbour a strip of your land at least as wide as your fence.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Reply to
Bodge

you should use 4 inch posts concrete

18 inches in the ground i personally screw the featheredge boards o with 32 mm drywall screws and overlap the boards 25mm drill pilot hole in the boards 3mm start from right to left cut a piece of wood 25m thick and mark the edge of board this is your overla

-- micky104

Reply to
micky104

you should use 4x2 for rail

-- micky104

Reply to
micky104

That sounds a bit undersized for a 5 foot fence.

That sounds a bit oversized - arris rail is normally half a 3x3 ripped diagonally.

Rails are normally fixed flush with the post.

I'd set the posts first, that way you won't move one when you're working on the next one.

It's probably easier to work right-to-left if you're right handed, although it's not hard to work the other way.

Reply to
Rob Morley

having read all the replys the only thing I can add is make yourself a template :-

_______________ |_______________| |_______|

I am right handed and worked left to right with thick edge on left, nail 1ST board and use template to ensure even spacing

HTH Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Concrete stubs are good, too.

There's the issue of who is being kept out, too - the boards ou on the outside of your property for that reason, it looks very odd the other way around, I usually have a laugh at the wznkers who fit the stuff the wrong way around! Once I even saw a pillack who'd poy a ledged door in a wall - the wrong way around!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

While it would be odd to have a fence that borders a right of way facing inwards, I don't see a problem with having the good side facing in if the other side is just another enclosed garden.

That's a bit silly :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

I'd never thought of it like that - the only wooden fence that I'm responsible for is a low featheredge against a tall hedge and it would be silly for that to face any way but away from the hedge (and thus towards my garden).

Reply to
Rob Morley

If there's a dispute about the boundary and fence ownership at sometime in the future, and land registry records don't say, then one way this is resolved is to look at the fence position and structure. The flat face would be deemed to be the boundary with the fence all on one side of it, that side owning the fence and the land it stands on. So don't erect a fence the wrong way round unless you are happy to give it and the land it stands on to your neighbour. Also, after 12 years, your neighbour can claim as theirs the thin strip of your land which you fenced off your access to.

If you really want the face of a fence to face you, it might be better for you to pay your neighbour to put up a fence of your mutual choosing on their side of the boundary line.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The deeds to my property clearly show what belongs to whom.

Surely you just have to string a bit of galvanised wire along the back of the posts, thus also depriving the neighbour of access to the land?

Reply to
Rob Morley