Fixing Curtain Poles

Had to fix a pole for a friend yesterday. The son had already started but gave up when he couldn't drill a hole in the lintel. I thought at first it must be steel but a small HSS drill couldn't touch it. I assumed it must therefore be concrete and tried my SDS hammer drill successfully without bringing the whole lot down. Now, I think I was lucky to get away with it, but what would the team have done in this situation?

Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence

Lucky to get away with what?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Masonary bit in a hammer drill with ear defenders. Some cursing & swearing.

Or a rawldrill / rawltool and a hammer for the nostalgic and patient.

Or alternatively an oversized plank of wood to bypass the lintel so that normal fixings can be made into brick etc...

Reply to
Adrian C

I had a couple of bad holes like that. Got about an inch in (aiming for

1.5"). I just cut the plugs back and stuffed some araldite in the hole - did the trick very nicely, good firm fixing.
Reply to
Tim Watts

I tend to try and go above the lintel.

Reply to
Invisible Man

I half expected most of the plaster to drop off or the hole to get progressively larger and larger in diameter.

Reply to
Lawrence

Yes, 'fond' memories of many hours trying to do a few holes. The Makita combi won't touch these lintels but the Lidli SDS takes a few seconds per hole.

Reply to
PeterC

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember PeterC saying something like:

And the kids today would'nt believe you.

Ditto. Such effort for so little reward - mind you, it made one develop an aptitude for the easier solution/better positioning, etc.

SDS has turned us into softies. I love it though.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

If you think about it - its the same principal as an SDS - thump, turn, thump, turn.

Someone here worked out the joules involved a while ago.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The mere mention of the words "curtain poles" make me wanna head for the shed {that's the one at the bottom of the garden, not the one at the retail park ;) }

Reply to
Dean Heighington

Same here. I like the curtains to be close to the wall, so I bend in the end of each rail and also have some overlap.

Reply to
PeterC

I fit dozens of the buggers. Last week I fitted 10 window blinds (into the soffit) & 5 large curtain poles in the same house.

Thank God for SDS drills :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Until you hit a catnic ;)