Fixing cupboards/basins etc to thermoboard

I'm planning to use thermoboard (insulation backed plasternboard) applied to the inside of several 9" exterior walls to insulate them. probably it will be the 50mm or 60mm insluation version.

My worry is how to fix cupboards/basins etc to these later. Should Iexpect to hack away part of the thermoboard later to expose the brick so I can screw a wooden upright to it, or is there some clever fixing thingy that goes through the thermoboard and into the wall?

Thanks,

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

I think you have to consider the surface area of the fitting, the expected load and its direction and any expected gap between the brickwork and the foam back. Knauf Polyfoam liner board is 9mm plasterboard and therefore you have an increased chance of the hole breaking downwards.

I wouldn't hang and lcd tv on a swivel bracket onto the board. Conveniently Knauf "around 55mm" board is the same thickness as the 2" in 3x2 scant +

12.5mm p/board. I would happily fit a basin with frame fixings since the pedestal will take most of the down force and the fixings prevent pulling away from the wall.

Pete

Reply to
PeterK

Thanks Pete, what you say makes sense. But I want to hang things tehre without a support from the ground. I think I'll need to cut back to the brick for the fixings.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL