Fixing Aquapanel

I know that the normal suggested method of fixing Aquapanel or tile backer board is to screw it, but has anyone tried fixing it with plasterboard adhesive? I'd prefer to glue it if possible because the room is small enough that using batterns would be an issue...

I don't know what's in the adhesive, but would there be a possible issue with a plaster/cement reaction?

Lee

Reply to
Lee

No More Nails is also good for this. Are you fixing to the timber studs, or directly on to plasterbaord? If you're fixing to the surface of plasterboard, or even plaster itself, then the best way is to drill and screw the panels on. If you're fixing directly to the timber studs, then squeezing some No More Nails down the studs and presenting the panels to it will work. Remember to counter sink the holes so the screw heads are flush with the surface of the panels, and have good bracing timbers ready to holds the panels in place while the glue sets.

Reply to
BigWallop

Thanks. I should have added that the intention is to try to give a good flat surface for tiling to a poorly rendered (sand and cement) internal brick wall. I suppose I should really get it skimmed, but it would take too long to dry in the thickess it would need, and it's likely to get splashed so I didn't fancy plasterboard...

Lee

Reply to
Lee

How thick would the plaster have to be? A layer of 9 mm plasterboard glued to the bad render, then skimmed over with finish, wouldn't take that long to dry out enough to tile on top of. It would also give a nice flat surface, and make the tiling easier to do.

Reply to
BigWallop

If I knock off the high spots and fill the missing chunks then I could probably get away with 10mm or so, but the main problem is that the room cannot be out of use for too long... Making the tiling easier and looking nice is the main object of course :)

Is tiled plasterboard reasonably water resistant if stuck to a solid wall? One wall will have a bath/shower against it, so it will get splashed.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Yeah, I've done that. I was a bit concerned because of the weight of it but next morning it was as solid as a rock and hadn't landed on the cat during the night

-- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 4558 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try

for free now!

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Plasterboard is OK, yes, and as long as the bottom edges of the tiles are fitted with those plastic sealant strips that go under the bottom row of tiles, then yes, it should be OK for many years.

You should get a good quality grout for a bathroom anyway, and then you will have no problems at all.

A good method of belt and braces, is to squirt some silicone sealant along the bottom edge of the plasterboard and the edge of the bath / shower tray. Then place the plastic sealant strip on top of it while it's still soft. Then stick your tiles on top of the strip. The rest of the little spaces can be sealed with the grout and a touch of silicone, if needed, once everything else is in place.

Reply to
BigWallop