Fixing and sealing worktop edging

Hi all I've been reading through the past informative postings in uk.d-i-y about fixing an edge strip to a (bathroom) worktop.

I want to seal the chipboard on mine properly, which sounds like an 'apply dilute PVA' job, but then use contact adhesive to fix the strip down. This combination of water-based and solvent-based approaches doesn't give me a good feeling. Is it OK, or should I go for one or t'other?

And if so, can you get anything to dilute down Evo-stik, so that it soaks into to the relatively coarse chipboard exposed at my worktop edge?

Thanks Jon N

Reply to
Jon Nicoll

Just the Evo Stik. PVA is only a sealer in the sense that it reduces the porosity of a surface long enough to allow other things to set, cure, dry, or whatever they do, but it's a long way from being waterproof in itself. The contact adhesive will also act as a solvent to the dried PVA, so they don't combine well.

Not a lot of point. IME it sticks particularly well to chipboard edges, although cellulose thinners would probably dilute it if you insist.

Reply to
stuart noble

When I cut out for kitchen sinks - I use several coats of varnish on the cut surface to make it waterproof - I'd suggest the same if the worktop is for a bath or sink surround , so if any water does get past the seal, it won't wreck the worktop. It might also work for where you're putting the edging strip - but no guarantees!! Hugh

Reply to
Hugh

Hi Stuart

[...]