Fixing a UPVC door using foam? Anyone done it or have stories to tell?

I reckon it fixes better than screws / nails / bolts or any other kind of metal fixing...just make sure you've got the frame positioned right, you'll not move it afterwards without a *lot* of cutting

Reply to
Phil L

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Cordless Crazy saying something like:

It's a standard way of fixing most DG units (with the aid of a couple of weedy brackets), just make sure you don't use too much else it can distort the frame as it expands.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Anyone used that Fischer 2-part foam designed for fixing door and windo

frames in lieu of using regular fixings?

wondering whether to use it to fix my french doors (plus sidelight either side) as the frame is 2400mm wide and in my opinion it is to wide for the gear to work/secure it properly.

What do you reckon

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

It is probably a good structural fixing.

What is to stop a thief cutting it through with a hacksaw blade and removing the entire frame in silence?

Reply to
dennis

Just use chewing-gum, since you're in France at the moment.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The render you put over it afterwards.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Would regular expanding foam do, or is the Fischer stuff better as it designed for it? (Am fixing a DG unit of size 2400w x 2100h

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

In silence? - you've obviously never tried to remove a PVC frame that has been fixed in with foam...hacksaw blades to start (which incidentally sound like a pig giving birth, except they are much louder), then many, many hits with 5lb lump hammer onto 3X2 timber against the frame, this causes the whole thing rattle and vibrate and sounds similar to a washing machine being pushed down a staircase....this is all done with the glazing units removed, I'd hate to think what it would sound like fully glazed.

Reply to
Phil L

What the fudge?

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

Is this any different to fixing using normal 1-part expanding foam ? Anything special about the 2-part ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Not really, except that it is applied using a mastic gun, the outcome is virtually the same, except you don't need to buy a foam gun

Reply to
Phil L

'French' doors.

Reply to
Phil L

So why does a 2-part have to be used in a gun? I thought the mai difference was the strength once cured? The 2-part is more of structural solution as opposed to the 1-part?. Or am I barking up a expensive tree

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

Ahhhhhh. Kerching....the penny drops!!!!!!!!

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

It's 2 part because it mixes in the nozzle to become foam, if it was premixed in the tube it would set, the reason why it doesn't in a pressurised container is because the solvent is present, which evapourates once expelled....AFAIK there's no difference in strength.

Reply to
Phil L

Just remember Hoffnung's "French widow in every bedroom" and you can't go wrong...

Reply to
Andy Wade