Fixing a TV arm to a lathe-and-plaster wall

Hi All,

Your advice please. I have a lovely new telly arriving in time for Christmas, and I've bought a lovely articulated bracket for it (Vogels THIN 345

only problem is that the wall I want to fix it to is lathe-and- plaster...

The TV will weigh 19.5Kg - well within the specifications for the mount. I've contacted Vogels and they're happy that the TV is compatible with this bracket.

The fixing plate for the bracket is not substantial - there are four holes, spaced 22mm centre-to-centre horizontally and 263mm vertically. The plate measures 58mm x 295mm.

At the moment, my plan is this:

- Cut a hole slightly larger than the bracket fixing plate in the plaster and cut through the lathes;

- Fix a wooden plate (as large as I can get into the hole) to the wall (it's a stone gable-end wall) using the most substantial compression fixings I can (well clear of the fixing plate holes);

- Fix to this (using glue and screws) a piece of wood that is approximately the size of the fixing plate (58 x 295) and ends as close as possible to flush with the existing wall surface - this should give me around 70mm depth, I think (I'll find this out when I dig into the wall);

- Screw the fixing bracket in using the longest, heftiest wood screws I can get through the holes.

Can you guys please pick holes in this plan for me (and hopefully suggest alternatives!)?

Cheers - Adam...

Reply to
Adam

The only problem is that the wall I want to fix it to is lathe-and-

What's between the laths and the stone wall behind - just fresh air - or is there any studding. Ideally, you should screw the bracket to a substantial vertical stud. [With that weight potentially cantilevered

600mm out from the wall, you need to get as close an approximation as you can to a fixing in solid brickwork!].

Assuming there aren't any suitably located studs, what you suggest should work, but you'll need a hole substantially wider than the bracket fixings in order to drill the stonework for fixing the wooden plate. A single thick piece of wood would be preferable to two pieces fixed together. Fix it to the stonework with rawlbolts - with their heads recessed into the wooden block, and covered with plugs. That way, you should be able to create a solid flat surface in the same plane as the plaster which, when the gaps are filled and painted, won't show - even though it's not completely covered by the bracket.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Is it articulated enough for the mount to be positioned on a stud and still allow the telly to be in the right place?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The only problem is that the wall I want to fix it to is lathe-and-

ITYF it's "lath and plaster". A lathe is a turning tool.

HTH -

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I wanted to fix my swivel arm very close to the edge of a brick chimney breast. So fixed it with nuts and bolts to two lengths of steel strip - about 1/8th x 1" - and fixed that to the wall after chasing out.

You could do the same between two joists - less chasing than for wood capable of taking the load.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Can you locate the studs without damaging the L+P wall?? You might get lucky and find that there is a stud exactly where you want your bracket.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

It made me think a bit about attaching an arm to a lathe. Thrashing about as it goes round and round.

I know it's only a typo, but it raised a smile.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

-88-

There are studs, I think - 150 year old ones. I have no idea how securely they are fixed to the wall. Nor do I know whether there's a suitable placed one.

sterwhich, when the gaps are filled and painted, won't show - even

Thanks - Adam...

Reply to
Adam

-88-

wall is - this is one of the worries with drilling and fixing, so I'll definitely consider this approach.

OK, will definitely consider this approach too - not sure how sound the studs would be - they're the original 150(ish) year old ones.

Indeed...

Thanks - Adam...

Reply to
Adam

The only problem is that the wall I want to fix it to is lathe-and-

I presume you mean lath and plaster. A lathe is something that goes round in order to turn things to shape.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I was going to recommend the right drill bit to go into all that steel, too.

Reply to
Bob Eager