fixing a toilet seat

Hi

I've got a toilet seat that I can't secure because I've dropped the bit that the seat screws onto into the enclosed casing of the toilet that is secured to the wall. I tried sticking the seat to the bowl with "no more nails" and that worked for a while but it has now worked itself free and I'd really like to fix it properly. Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks

Reply to
Leonards

You can buy generic replacement fixing kits from B&Q etc. Depends exactly what sort of seat you've got though.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Magnet onna stick/string, if the bit that's dropped is steel?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Wot he said, or replace the seat - they are cheap as chips. Wickes do the best el cheapo IMO.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Enclosed casing - is that like a Victorian Earth Closet?

Reply to
John

Thanks everyone. I'm off to buy a new one!!!

Reply to
Leonards

Fact is that standard design for bog seat fittings is rubbish. The threaded studs that screw into the flat plates always come loose sooner or later. After a while it become impossible to tighten them as they corrode, even if you grease them as I do. Yes buy some replacement sets, with the accent on some. Screwfix and others do them very cheaply. Just replace as needed. About once a year perhaps.

BTW has anyone come across a better designed replacement fitting.

Reply to
Peter Scott

Agreed in general. I change a surprising number of bog seats in offices & industrial units. Sometimes 6-8 at a time.

I use LSX on them to stick them in place, seems to work.

No, I can say the Wickes el cheapo bog seats are now my default replacement & I've gone right off the SF cheap ones.

I did buy one of these a while ago

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=toilet+seat+toolMay seem like a gimmick, but it really speeds up installing bog seats and you can get the fittings much tighter.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=toilet+seat+tool>

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I'll be able to extend bog seat cycle time a bit?

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

We got something like this in our new loo.

or
hinge design seems massively better that the standard "flap'n'crash'" toilet seat. No wobbling and the design seems to inhibit the usual wandering around that loosens ordinary hinges.

Will never fit another DIY shed toilet seat again.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

replying to Leonards, Richard Simpkins wrote: I used No More Nails last night and it appears to have worked which I can't quite get my head around but will watch it after reading your comment about it working itself loose.

Reply to
Richard Simpkins

"posted on January 10, 2009, 1:37 pm"

That Homeowners hub thing is a pain in the proverbial, how come it keeps on regurgitating those ancient posts?

Reply to
Davey

Because it can. ;-)

If you look at the site you'll see that it regularly promotes ancient posts as "unanswered questions" or "top threads". Presumably to generate traffic (and income).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Not a worthwhile pastime!

I think the time has come to try to work out how to killfile these re-posts to them.

Reply to
Davey

Adding @example.com to your killfile (with whatever wildcard character your filter uses) stops 99% of them. Not the responses alas. ;-)

Tim