fixing a shower tray on floorboards

Hi can I fix a shower tray directly onto floorboards? Previously I have used cement to bed a tray onto Marine Ply but in this case I would like to fix it directly to the floorboards as they will be my finished flooring. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Is there any specific type of shower tray I need to consider? Thanks

Reply to
tvmo

Make sure the boards are well fixed down. If there are excessive gaps, a layer of hardboard over the top, again well fixed, then 1/2" of mortar and bed the tray on as usual (assuming its a stone resin tray).

Remember you will need to chop out a hole for the waster fitting first! ;-)

(if the boards are in a bad way etc then take them up under the tray and replace with WBP ply as a base)

Reply to
John Rumm

I've just bought one of these which might fit your requirements:

't fitted the thing yet, so can't comment on practicalities, though it looks well made etc

David

Reply to
Lobster

Fitted one of these a couple of years ago to Chipboard floor direct as a replacement. It turns out lower than it looks and so far no problems. The legs seem quite chunky, but I think I added a further support from the old tray to the middle.

John

Reply to
JohnW

I like the pictures on that page where they show the difference between sawing "Coram rigid panels" and "Flimsy plastic panels". Can you see what they did there? Hilarious.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

I can see the attraction, but bear in mind that as you get older, or want to sell the house to someone older you may well regret having such a high step.

It'd be no use in this house, for a start!

Reply to
Skipweasel

Thanks guys. I've seen a shower enclosure which suits my needs and I think the tray may solve the problem. Could you have a look at this link and let my know what you think? Thanks Victoria

tvmo

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D\

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D/

Thanks guys. I've seen a shower enclosure which suits my needs and I think the tray may solve the problem. Could you have a look at this link and let my know what you think? Thanks Victoria

tvmo

Thanks guys. I've seen a shower enclosure which suits my needs and I think the tray may solve the problem. Could you have a look at this link and let my know what you think? Thanks Victoria

tvmo

£269 one looks like it comes with a fibreglass tray, with metal bracketry. I have never been so keen on these as the stone resin ones. You also can't get those close the the floor if you are seeking a low step threshold.

However if you want to keep all your plumbing above the floor level then they are ok (although IMHO I would still opt for the stone resin tray and build a plinth for it).

Reply to
John Rumm

Well given that in my case the shower's upstairs, and since the step up into the shower's going to be no higher than those on the staircase, that shouldn't be an issue! TBH I'll be happy to be able to access the gubbins underneath the tray for maintenance purposes etc.

David

Reply to
Lobster