Fixing a roof truss

Hmm.. how would you fix this?

looks like the wooden beams were just glued into the metal parts without any through-bolting. Given their differences in expansion coefficients, seems a bit dodgy to me. What would have happened if one of the joints at the top had given way?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

I get a 404 not found at that URL.

You aren't perhaps talking about the Scottish "Parliament" are you?!

Reply to
Alistair Riddell

URL, or saying where the image really is.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It certainly sounds like that. I was amazed when I saw the photos - I had assumed that the beams would be held by more than just their tapered shape, and glue, but there was no sign of a bolt.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Oh b*gger! Should have been

it is the Scottish paliament)

Tim

Reply to
tim.downie

All the joints are in compression, so no need to cope with any shear force at all.

Probably don;t even need teh glue.

A reasonable flexible polyurethane glue should be entirely adequate. BUT what a complete load of old bollocks that structure is. Obviously designed by architects and structural engineers with too much time and public money to spend. Its engineering for the sake of it. Not for any PURPOSE.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't you mean "All the joints *should* be in compression". If it had been in compression it's hard to see how it could have come undone.

I think if the metal tie bars that run across beneath the joints have stretched or are insufficiently tensioned, then the joint could potentially be in tension.

But demonstrably not in this case.

Tim

Reply to
tim.downie

I'm not so sure about any glue! I reckon the "designers" relied on the wooden beams always being in compression, and thus holding themselves together. Seems they were wrong!

Reply to
Roger Mills (aka Set Square)

The architect is dead but was known as "el collapso" after the roof of a building he designed in his native Spain collapsed. Apperently the builders were at fault that time but I see a pattern forming...

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Now, THAT's interesting! Do you have any (preferably online) references?

Reply to
S Viemeister

Is he dead because the previous building collapsed on *him*?

Reply to
Roger Mills (aka Set Square)

"The modern design was the concept of Enric Miralles, the late Catalan architect who attracted the headline "El Collapso" when the roof of a sports centre he designed fell down in Spain.

The builder was to blame for that collapse, but the headline was gleefully recalled yesterday in the corridors of Holyrood.

The engineering firm Ove Arup was responsible for bringing his ideas to fruition in Edinburgh, and its engineers were examining the structure."

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

No, I don't think so.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Reply to
S Viemeister

I believe it was a brain tumour of some sort. He died before the building was anywhere near complete.

Reply to
S Viemeister

According to today's 'Telegraph (so it must be true ...) the oddly shaped beams were 'reminiscent' of the Fife Oak beams in the original Scottish Parliament building .... that'd be the one they used before the Scottish King took over the English (&Wales) throne and the Scottish parliament voted to disband itself and be over-repreented in the Westminster place. {BTW: the exchange rate between the Scottish Pound and the English Pound was adjusted too - rather like the 'Ost'Mark and the 'Deutchmark'}. One can only presume that it was all the hot air from the MSPs that displaced the beam.I mean; surely the have Building Control Officers in Edingburgh? [One knows they didn't count the bawbees ... but !]

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

My guess is that for some reason that strut was in tension when it shoudl have been in compression.

Perhaps it was a little short. Perhaps the tie bars below are not in enough tension keep it in comrpession.

: If I had to be responsible for fixing it I'd slacken the tie bars a little. Replace the strut with a thickness or two of card to 'shim it out'. Then tighten the tie rods to bring it into compression.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Well, it WAS right over the Conservative benches.........

Reply to
S Viemeister

They spent a fortune of our money on that heap of junk:(

Reply to
Ophelia

LOL

Reply to