fixed price boiler repairs have their place

Some reflections on a neighbour's boiler saga. Insurance co's engineer says boiler is beyond economic repair, so they send the customer a cheque for £500. But boiler manufacturer fixes it for £300+ (looks like parts alone cost that).

And how does the engineer get back to the customer with the part by 8 next morning? Simple. Overnight courier has a key to the engineer's van and deposits the bits in the wee small hours. Quite impressed with that.

Head office expects the engineer to fit a heat exchanger in 1.5 hours, but he insists it's a 3 hour job. They split the difference I think (didn't quite hear all the conversation). Either way, amazing how quickly you can do stuff if you do it often enough.

Strikes me that you can't apply bottom line economics to boilers and the insurance thereof. When they go wrong in a cold snap, someone has you over a barrel, and it might as well be the manufacturer.

Reply to
stuart noble

We gained greatly by using a manufacturers fixed price repair deal. Got everything bar the heat exchanger replaced for £300 AND it's covered for any breakdown for the next 12 months.

Tim

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yup, we had that with our WB. Fixed price repair about £250, but for another £50 (or less) we got 12 months cover too.

The fault? Faulty seal, lots of very hot air, burnt wiring harness and other damage. Took the guy 3 hours at least, and replaced most of it.

Reply to
Bob Eager