Fix / de-scale kitchen tap

Funny my house is ful of them and not one has failed in the 16 years I'v= e been here. As for expense, how much of your time is taken to solder a= joint?

-- =

In 1272, the Arabic Muslims invented the condom, using a goat's lower in= testine. In 1873, the British refined the idea by taking the intestine out of the= goat first.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 10:59:44 +0100, GB wrote:=

But most of those would probably have died shortly afterwards anyway.

-- =

FOR SALE BY OWNER. Complete set of Encyclopedia Britannica , 45 volumes.=

Excellent condition, =A3200 or best offer. No longer needed, got married, wife knows everything.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You are very obviously not a plumber. I *know* 100% that you are wrong. I used to use *end feed* fittings which are about a tenth of the price of compression joints. Soldering a joint doesn't take much more time to solder than using compression fittings. At least to a plumber it doesn't.

Reply to
Bod

They tend to look neater, too. However, they are not as easy to undo as a compression fitting - but there again, you might never want to.

Reply to
charles

I'm not a great plumber, but around 10 seconds to solder a joint, a little more to flux it and steel wool it first. Say 30 second.

That's not what takes the time. It's deciding where the pipe is to go, cutting it and bending it and holding it there.

Which is the same fr compression.

The real time saver is flexible plastic pipe . That is FAST.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Compression fittings take virtually no time at all, and don't require eq= uipment and heat and so forth to use. Some people just like to do thing= s "the tradition correct way" without thinking.

-- =

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird, people take prozac to make it normal.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 17:18:29 +0100, charles wr= ote:

e:

More likely the plumber doesn't give a shit about future modifications. = I've found it very handy to be able to remove one and change what goes = into it.

-- =

My wife was standing nude, looking in the bedroom mirror. She was not h= appy with what she saw and said to me, "I feel horrible. I look old, fa= t and ugly. I really need you to pay me a compliment." I replied, "Your eyesight's damn near perfect." And then the fight started.......

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

simply pout a pipe cutter in and remove the section.

OR heat em up and knock em apart

you cant reuse a compression joint anyway. You need to cut the pipe and use a new olive.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, I had noticed that. But upon peering in, it looks like it's missing!

Reply to
Fevric J. Glandules

OTOH the other day I decided to descale the filter on the washing machine. Darned thing started leaking afterwards... after a few days it did stop, though.

Reply to
Fevric J. Glandules

e:

You can reuse it, just not the olive.

-- =

Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet -- Napoleon = Bonaparte

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Well it'll almost certainly be a hex socket head so it won't look like much. Have you tried an Allen key down the hole?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Surely, that's how bad the metal impairment is ;-)

Reply to
polygonum

To be totally accurate - CuO, Pb and Sn as well.

Reply to
Simon Mason

On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 03:28:07 +0100, Simon Mason wro= te:

I believe Pb was the problem they were referring to? Why do you have th= at?

-- =

If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It is a constituent of solder.

Reply to
Simon Mason

A good reason to use compression fittings. Although I thought solder was now lead free? I'm sure it is, as people working in electronics complain about its higher melting point making it harder to avoid damaging the components.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I found a vid on youtube of someone dismantling something similar which provided Clue - the grub screw holding the lever on to the cartridge is a hex ('Allen key') one. Take that out, bosh the thing with a hammer, remove lever, squirt wd40 on to cartridge, re-mantle, and it is slightly improved.

Phoned Howdens and they volunteered to provide a replacement FOC.

Reply to
Fevric J. Glandules

Um, how many times did I tell you that?

You're allowed to read stuff here as well as post stuff.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+