Five years for manslaughter - odd cable theft case

If they were in it together then why the mansluaghter charge?

Listening to the local radio suggests that they did not know the power would be restored after 3 minutes. He also reported his son as missing later that evening.

It just seems an odd case.

Reply to
ARW

Prosecution calls him the ringleader or says he incited the other and there's no-one to contradict. The father isn't a reliable witness - he ran away from the scene.

Reply to
Scott M

"Involuntary manslaughter arises where the accused did not intend to cause death or serious injury but caused the death of another through recklessness or criminal negligence. For these purposes, recklessness is defined as a blatant disregard for the dangers of a particular situation."

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

That's fine for a normal manslaughter charge. But they were both in it together - they both knew the risks and both decided to take those risks. Shaun only escaped death by a whisker.

Reply to
ARW

The auto-recloser claims another pikey... How long before they are outlawed?

Reply to
Tim Watts

You can't outlaw a section of the community just because they are thieving scrotes.

Reply to
Bill

In article , ARW writes

One of them died as a result of a crime that both of them committed so I'd say guilty as charged. Even if the dead one did all the chopping then they formed a joint enterprise so would be equally guilty.

I'm sure you can guess that I'm not a lawyer :-).

Reply to
fred

I thought auto-recloser times where in the 10's of seconds, and that

3 minutes would more likely be manual intervention from a control room after an auto-recloser tripped out too many times.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I was told by a UK power networks engineer a while ago that in some places like Lincolnshire they have been known to go cable nicking and if one of them gets killed .. they leave him behind ..

After removing any identification like his mobile phone etc;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Actually I think that's exactly why they used to outlaw people.. So obviously you CAN.

I suspect you mean we shouldn't..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sounds like a good idea. Another one of them might get electrocuted trying to frisk the body. :-)

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I meant the auto-recloser - toungue in cheek of course!

Reply to
Tim Watts

What, pikeys you mean?

As I read what you wrote, I was expecting it to finish as "how long before they are all taken?"

Reply to
Tim Streater

You keep your tongue to yourself.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I used to test those things (with no power applied). Boring job.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

You can set the timing to anything you want - but I agree 3 minutes sounds more like a manual intervention - provided the reporting is accurate .

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

The motivation is more likely to be nicking the mobile/wallet/etc just to sell on!

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The prosecution probably figured they could stick him away for longer on that charge than that alternative for theft.

Reply to
John Rumm

I remember finding a bug in a series of Marconi's HF transmitters in their so called "evasive action" protection... It was supposed to lockout the amp if there were three or more high VSWR events inside a two minute window. Each event resulted in a 3 sec disable and then a auto re-enable. It passed the tests nicely, but noone though to try a fourth event within two mins of the second.

Reply to
John Rumm

In article , Tim Watts writes

Hopefully never. Darwin in action.