Fitting toilet seat

I have just finished fitting a new toilet.

Nightmare job, the old pan connector was plastered into the wall and on chipping it out it seemed that rather than the standard size I expected to push the pan connector* in, the pipe was in fact smaller, the old pan connector had been fitted over it and glued.

*I bought 3 different types of pan connector, I thought I had all bases covered.

Anyway after much codging the toilet is firmly in place and seems watertight.

So we come to fit the seat and bugger me, I can't possibly get my hands to the underneath where the screw posts go through because of the way the toilet is moulded, you would need to go from round the back, have 2 wrists and extremely small hands.

Other than glue it has anyone another idea, are there special fittings available?

Cheers,

Rick

Reply to
R D S

I have got two wrists.

Reply to
Phil L

Guffaw, I meant on the same arm!

Still, if you want to try and fit my bog seat feel free.

Reply to
R D S

Have you tried using long handled grips of some kind?

Reply to
Phil L

Some seat fittings can be done up from the top only. They have a machine screw through a rubber rawl plug like construction. As you tighten the screw, the rubber is forced to bulge out. This locks it in place in the holes in the pan.

Reply to
John Rumm

Somewhere or other recently, I have seen a special tool for fitting toilet seats (can't remember where though).

The picture showed it as yellow plastic and jointed with a cam at the end to fit up under the china and reach the nuts under the seat (as it were).

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from "R D S" contains these words:

Would one of these help?

Guy King

I have fitted three toilet seats recently, all a different fitting design, none of them required access underneath, they all tightened in place simply by screwing from the top, try it you may be surprised. I was with one in particular, it seemed to need access from the bottom (no pun intended)but simply screwed from above.

Reply to
Broadback

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

So it was!

Reply to
Guy King

So what covers up the screw heads .I have never had any toilet seat that fits any way other than from underneath.... the bolt heads sitting in a groove in the plastic part that sits either side of the seat and the nuts fit on undeneath the pan

Stuart ..

Reply to
Stuart

That could help cheers.

First I'll nip back to the bathroom shop and see if they have any fittings applied from the top.

Reply to
R D S

Each one had a different cover that push fitted over the screws, very simple and obvious in application.

Reply to
Broadback

screwfix 62412 - £10

Reply to