Fitting toilet pan over tiles.

Downstairs WC (new) floor is going to be tiled out next week .... I would prefer to fully tile out floor, then some days later fit toilet pan ... (with semi-dry mix ?) on top of tiles, screwed to concrete & screed underneath. Thoughts are to do it this way to avoid tiling around pan ... but worried that tiles may crack in use.

Any comments from those in the know?

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Its fine if the tiles will last longer than the loo. Also you can seal the tiles to the loo, and any splaces don't get underneath and stink for years .......

I guess it depends upon the qualty of the tiles and how well they are laid

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Tiles drill well and don't crack. Silicone sealer will secure a toilet without recourse to screws anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm not really into plumbing but I imagine that you need something larger than a crack in the tiles.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

"Fitting toilet pan over tiles."

Would certainly make an unusual roof feature... then I read the post :)

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

I'll back up the recommendation for silicon sealer. Used it twice with absolutely no bother and also didn't present any problems to remove when one of the pans had to be replaced.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

if you scratch off the glaze where you want to drill it shouldn't crack. technically :)

sammi

Reply to
sam ende

I've never done that, just drilled straight through - either with SDS, or all-purpose bit in cordless.

Reply to
John Stumbles

My tiler suggested silicone, not only for the pan but also for the cistern. I didn't believe him, but he assured me it would be fine, and it is, two years and absolutely no movement. Although for the cistern, my walls are solid brick, I wouldn't try it on plasterboard. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe