fitting toilet filling valve -threaded section is too long

Hi all

I need to replace the filling valve on my toilet, in which the cistern is filled from the bottom. The replacement valve that I bought has a longer plastic threaded section than the old one, but I want to avoid changing any of the supply pipework.

This is a link to a picture of the replacement valve that I bought:

think if I simply cut off the excess from the threaded section (the excess is about 1 cm or so) with a hacksaw, it will be impossible to get a flat end so I won't get a good seal?

Can anyone think of a solution that avoids having to alter the supply pipework?

Thanks

Julian

Reply to
noos999

On 3 Dec 2006 08:22:03 -0800 someone who may be " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk" wrote this:-

You either have to modify the supply pipework or the valve pipework.

Assuming you have copper supply pipework personally I would fit a copperbend to the supply pipework to take up any flexing. This can then be bent to suit new valves in future.

Reply to
David Hansen

Like David says, you will have to cut one or the other.

I would not like to cut the plastic threaded pipe, I doubt you'd get it square enough for a good seal on the washer. But I think the copper bendy pipes look rather ugly.

Personally, I would cut back the copper supply pipework a foot or so, allowing me to fit a service valve and a flexi-hose, like one of these:

of these incorporate a service valve too, so even neater.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

k rather ugly.

I agree,get a braided flexi hose which has a 15mm compression tail on it and then it will be nice n neat and an easy diy job. Dont forget to turn the water off :)

Reply to
Psst

It doesn't seal at the end of the thread, it seals at the beginning, IE the shoulder where it meets the cistern.

Reply to
Phil L

This sounds like a good solution, many thanks to everyone for the suggestions...

Julian

Psst wrote:

Reply to
noos999

The valve seals to the cistern there but the supply pipe to valve seals on the thread end, inside the tap connector against a fibre washer.

I reckon if you where careful to ensure a proper 90 deg cut (use a mitre saw or block, and clean the end up) you could shorten the valve stub without trouble or problems making a water proof joint. Firstly I'd check to see how much play there is in the pipework though, there might be enough. Saves a lot of messing about. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, it 'ought' to be possible. If you want hours of fun, you could make it work.

But in reality, the saw will be inclined ( to a greater or lesses extent ) follow the angle of the thread, and be off-square, and the cut plastic end will be 'hairy' and not nice to clean up. Sure, if you have the necessary tools, it's possible to make a square cut etc etc. But given the context of the OP, is it really the best solution for him? I really doubt it.

But otherwise, just use a flexible hose with a tap connector on the end and be done wth it. You know it makes sense.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

I just had the same problem and here is my solution.

Use the large plastic nut (the one that with go on the threaded section) as a guide, when you cut it to the correct length. Keep the nut on the threaded section, use a sanding block to get it square and smooth. Then, use a wrap of teflon tape , around those threads, when you connect the water supply nut, just for a tight fit.

It took me about an hour and it worked.

This was the product...

Jack

Jack wrote in news:dq1bB.343768$ snipped-for-privacy@fx39.am:

The tread is not part of the "sealing" the face that you carefully sanded should butt against the incoming water fitting and a fibre washer should form the seal.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Only plastic nuts read via this portal! grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff