Fitting rake shaft - new use for pipe cutter?

Expensive garden rake needed new shaft but couldn't find one long enough and had to get a yard brush handle. The shaft fits into a parallel sided aluminium tube and the old one drilled out easily with a cheap forstner bit. However the new shaft was about 6mm too thick. Adjusted a pipe cutter to the diameter of the old shaft and marked the setting on the frame of the pipe cutter and then cut a series of rings on the new shaft to that diameter, pared off the rings and the shaft fitted perfectly.

Peter K

Reply to
PeterK

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "PeterK" saying something like:

Another one - I've been using a pipe cutter for years to trim off the armour on SWA cable. In my leccy store the other day I spotted a tool for doing just that - it was a pipe cutter with a different name.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In article , PeterK writes

Nice tip, I've got a new window pole to make up and will try that out. I used a similar technique but with a hacksaw blade last time, far less elegant.

Reply to
fred

Nice one. Good for cutting down tubular curtain poles as well.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman