Fitting new window from outside when old one was fitted from in.

Hi I want to fit a new standard wooden double glazed window into the kitchen from the outside. The reason is that there is new tiling butting up to this window that I dont want damaged. The old one was fitted from the inside, and looks like its butting up against 50mm of render on either side (but it could be rendered brick. So I would have to cut through this to open up the hole and re render. Is this wise? Would appreciate comments if you have some experience in this line of work.

Reply to
Housemartin

It was probably fitted from the outside before the wall was rendered.

It's usually much easier to make an invisble repair on the inside than it is to patch render. If the tiling is new then replacements should be easy to find.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Actually I am not sure the tiling is that new. Allso its really awquard as the window has the kitchen sink in front of it. The render on the outside is painted, do you think that if I patch the render it could crack at the join between old and new?

Reply to
Housemartin

Paint makes it much easier to match. It shouldn't crack if you use the same sort of mortar.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I Think your probably right about it being fitted before the wall was rendered. Many thanks for the feedback. Housemartin

Reply to
Housemartin

If it's the sort of window which was fitted flush to the external brickwork, then assuming you can find one of the same size - no problem. If it's recessed into the opening then the choice is yours - either way there'll be some making good, rather than just sealing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)