Fitting new Greenstar 40 HE Plus

I am considering fitting a Greenstar 40 HE plus combi. Is this a good choice of boiler? Has anyone had any problems with one of these?

(Technical data is here if you need it:

I'd like to fit it in the loft. Will I have to build a small wooden structure to which to fit it?

How about flueing? I will need to flue through the roof. Is that easy to do?

Can I run the combi only for hot water for a few weeks as I won't instantly be in a position to get up the floorboards to fit the pipework for the radiator circuit.

Mr F

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

It is an excellent boiler.

I have a 28HE System, which I am very pleased with.

I have fitted mine in my loft.

No. Mine is bolted directly to the wall. However, there are a number of things that must be done to the loft to make it a legally acceptable location. I believe these include (there may be more that I've forgotten):

  1. Permanently installed lighting.
  2. Fixed static or retractable loft ladder.
  3. Boarding of floor.
  4. Guard rails around loft hatch.

If you have a ventilated uninsulated loft space, with the insulation in the floor, you'll need some sort of frost protection, although it is far superior to convert to an trickle ventilated loft space with insulation between the rafters. The boiler manufacturer might forbid installation in an uninsulated loft space.

Yes. Buy the vertical flue kit. You'll need a special tile which has a rubber membrane that you cut to size and shove the terminal through.

Yes, but you must be able to set up the filling loop, pressure relief etc. The DHW section relies on this being filled and pressurised. You may need a bypass, but I'm not sure.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thanks very much for your reply.

I don't have a wall to bolt it to as the roof is a "square based pyramid" [I don't know what the proper term is for this type of roof :-) ]

What kind of insulation do you recommend for between the rafters?

Any idea where to get such a tile? Would it come from the worcester-bosch or from a builder's merchant?

Mr F

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

Kingspan or Celotex. However, you have to pay attention to the ventilation if the roof has sarking or felt. This will require soffit vents and ridge vents. I don't know what the equivalent of ridge vents are for your type of roof.

An alternative will be to just insulate around a little room around the boiler.

Builder's merchant, or possibly a plumbing one.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I've got a WB 28HE system boiler too and i'm very happy with it.

I dread to think how big the 40HE must be coz the 28HE is a beast...make sure you've got a strong wall.

Reply to
RedOnRed

The 28HE isn't that big. Not compact, to be sure, but not huge.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Not that heavy either.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

A "hipped" roof then...

Reply to
John Rumm

The 40HE is also surprisingly compact, but very heavy. Packaging is covered with warnings about the weight of it.

-- Error reading FAT record: Try the SKINNY one? (Y/N) Steph Peters delete invalid from snipped-for-privacy@sandbenders.demon.co.uk.invalid Tatting, lace & stitching page

Reply to
Steph Peters

That's just lawyer speak. My TV claimed that it required SIX people to move it. Complete bollocks insisted on by their liability insurers in case you slip a disc.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle