fitting new door lock

Hi!
I'm trying to fit a new horizontal mortise lock into an internal door.
The hole in the door is about 0.5cm too tall for the new lock!
What is the best way to work around this? I was thinking about finding a slim piece of wood, maybe hardboard, and cut it down to size, and glue it to the top of the hole (so the new lock aligns better with the door-handle holes) with wood glue.
Is this method ok? Or is there a better solution?
Thanks!

Can you put the screws into the wood and still get the handles on?
If so bung it on with longer screws. The alternative is to put a piece of wood in -slightly over-size, and pare it down to suit when the glue is dry. Top and bottom if needed. I'd be happy with the first method.

5mm isn't an awful lot, surely the lock will still screw into place even with this small gap. (?) If not, then go for the wood fillet idea as you suggest.
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

The problem is that it's a long Union #2077 horizontal lock,
http://www.uniononline.co.uk/prodcat/index.asp?fuseaction talogue.showproduct&prod_idw5
If the lock is sitting on the bottom of the hole then I can screw that side in, but the top screw hole just has the 5mm void behind it, as the lock is 150mm long, it's not really feasible to have a giant screw to hit the back of the hole :)

door.
you
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Thanks for confirming this is the best solution. I just hope I can find a scrap of wood somewhere that requires minimum shaping :)