fitting modern lights in place of loop in roses

So what's the correct approach?

Taped up Terminal block poked up into void with feeds to fitting's terminals, Choc box into void & similar? All will work what's the official line(s)? Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Define "modern lights". Brand new light fittings can come with a variety of electrical fittings. The most common method of fitting lights is to use a ceiling rose that has loop-in terminals.

JGH

Reply to
jgh

Commonly seen, but not nice...

Yup, that is fine. Basically you want a proper enclosure round the joins. Wago boxes and terminals are nice. There are also some proper matin connector systems that allow the fixture to plug into the "rose" in the ceiling void)

John Rumm

Choc box into void & similar? All will work what's the official line(s)?

When I have to do this I usually use a junction box to replace the function of the terminals within the rose, positioned above the ceiling, either accessed from above or pushed up through as small a hole as possible (you can get pretty tiny junction boxes...)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Choc box into void & similar? All will work what's the official line(s)?

Connections must be made inside something that can prevent spread of fire. Jbox and ceiling rose both do that. I'm far from convinced thermoplastics will, as they simply melt when hot.

Given 69,000 house fires a year in the uk, with many deaths resulting, its one reg best not ignored.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Some light switches have the loop in them with a terminal to suit, not the ceiling rose. I thing Hagar do one. Some Sparks loop the lighting wire to each light switch box with a terninal block inside, then a wire from the block to the switch and a wire to the ceiling rose. This is common in old flats being rewired. Have a deep switch box and all is well. No playing about with a loop at a ceiling rose - all in the accessible switch boxes.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I used these boxes and connectors when I re-did the upstairs lights. They were a damn sight easier than faffing with traditional screw- terminal junction boxes.

mike

But wasteful of cable. So more expensive as well as taking longer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

These huge Ikea fittings are a PITA. Once people realise their existing rose is hanging on not very much at all, fixing a hook can become a bit of a nightmare. Fortunately the old lath and plaster ceilings are more forgiving in that respect, and you're more likely to hit some form of wood nearby.

Reply to
stuart noble

I always run a batten between joists when fitting a central light - even if just a ceiling rose. Saves so much time later on when you change things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The last couple of lights that I fitted at home were fitted to a new ceiling - I planned ahead and not only placed battens, but installed round conduit boxes.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Alas no easy access. Carpet and a room full of stuff above it. I put a long threaded cup hook up through the lath and plaster, gave it a tug, and that was good enough for me. The fitting is heavy but, unless somebody swings on it....... I've had reasonable success with metal toggle fixings but that would require a hook mounted on a plate which I didn't have about my person

Reply to
stuart noble

But there must have been access when the wiring was installed?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There is no doubt still access, just not easy access :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

This senile person hasn't got a clue.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Just shows you've never done a practical thing in your life. Anyone who has knows how much extra cable is needed if you use the switch box to do the loop in and out. But carry on in your fantasy world.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This senile person hasn't got a clue.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Perhaps dribble installs all his switch boxes on the ceiling so as not to use more cable?

Reply to
John Rumm

I bet that's why he uses string in his bathroom.

Reply to
dennis

My God! Essex wit.

Reply to