Fitting lights next to a bath

Can anyone tell me what kind of lights can be installed close to a bath? By close, I mean a couple of feet away. I have been looking at some low voltage types which have a sealed glass cover in front of the lamp and which are passed for Zones 1, 2, and 3.

However, on reading the instruction sheet, it seems these can only be fitted in ceilings in these areas. I wanted to mount downlights beneath a shelf but this would be reachable by someone in the bath (though the transformers for low-voltage types could be fitted outside the bathroom altogether).

Is this out of the question or are there suitable lights available - and if so, where from? I'm looking for something quite small (less than three inches diameter) and low wattage (eg, 12V, 20W x 3).

Any advice would be gratefully received...

Nigel Lord

Reply to
Nige

In article , Nige writes

Look for low voltage kitchen under-cupboard lighting, should do what you want. The ones I have seen use small 12V capsules (not the dichroic lamps). I think I saw them in B&Q of all places.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

Provided you don't want that much light or a particular quality of whiteness then led lights are probably your best bet.

Reply to
Mike

Yes, these are the kind of lights I wanted to use - but are they safe (and, therefore, legal)? I actually spoke to a chap at B&Q and he said they had nothing that would meet the current electrical regulations for safety. He said only 'Zone 0' lights would be suitable for fitting so close to the bath - but they didn't stock these.

NL

Reply to
Nige

LED lights would probably be fine - but again, are they safe/legal so close to the bath?

NL

Reply to
Nige

Definitely yes if driven from a battery. There is no failure mode that can cause harm.

But from a transformer you would still have to look at the insulation rating of the transformer.

Reply to
Mike

In article , Nige writes

Yes they are definitely safe, being 12V, provided the transformers and the mains is outside the bathroom "zone" areas.

As to whether they are legal... I believe that the zoning only applies to mains voltage equipment, so low voltage fittings would be OK. But I can't find any documentation to prove this.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

If you're wiring them in permanently rather than plugging them in somewhere, don't forget there's a new regulation that came in on Jan 1st stating that if you're not fully qualified, you need to get them checked by someone who is. This will cost. It'll apply to low voltage types too because of earth leakage etc.

Nanny State again.

Nemo.

Reply to
nemo