Fitting gallows bracket under chimney breast

How do you support the brickwork above where you intend to install the bracket, at the moment it is sat on a large timber across two joists in the loft, am i going to do more harm than good, trying to install such a bracket. It has been stable for 20 years is that the way chimney breasts were supported years ago ?

Im just trying to get a feel for what i need to do should the buyers surveyor point it out as an issue.

Reply to
Richard Grounddiver

Mine are bolted to the wall by two half inch dia raw bolts. There is then a small lintel across the front resting on each bracket. They would probabley hold up a battleship but I bet if ever I come to sell they wont be good enough. Mine were also done under local council inspection so I guess that I have that on my side. They have been up over 20 years.

Kevin

Reply to
Kev

I probably should have worded it better, i mean how are the bricks supported while you get the bracket in place?

Reply to
Richard Grounddiver

The flat I sold at the end of last year a had a structural roof survey done at the request of the buyer, they said this setup wasn't strong enough and needed a steel plate also inserted covering the entire lower surface, I think it said 5mm. I seem to remember the reason was to stop mortar dropping from between the bricks. (huh?)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Well my chimney just sat there unsupported while the brackets were fitted, not by me a hasten to add. I suppose if you were at all worried you could fit a much wider lintel which was propped in some way while you knocked ot the remaining brickwork then fitted the brackets.

Kevin

Reply to
Kev

Probably a bad idea to be using a large SDS drill to drill any holes in the wall whilst it's unsupported though ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel