Fitting extra electrical sockets

I want to fit an additional socket in my living room. I'm finding it hard to work out whether I can do this myself or not. And if I can, what the rules are. I did try a web search, honest! I find references to the 17th additional of the wiring regulations, but it seems the only way to actual view the regs is to buy a copy - which kinda sucks.

Can someone give me some pointers?

Thanks

Reply to
smb

Yes. As it's not a special location you can extend existing circuits.

Mmm.

The 17th Edition requires all circuits to be RCD protected unless they're wired in very restrictive locations or in special cable. So to comply with 17th Ed you would need to make sure that your living room circuit is RCD protected. If it isn't then the simplest way is to wire your new socket as a fused spur and use a RCD-fused connection unit to provide protection to the new wiring.

Your current wiring needs to be in reasonable condition, of course.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Making one socket comply to 17th when all the rest of the installation doesn't is, frankly, barmey. If you're going to go anyway towards this, the only sensible thing to do would be to put the whole ring on an RCD.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Re can you, I dont see how we can know, but its a simple job, so I expect so. Re the 17th edition, you can get a guide to it by john whitfield if you want. Re compliance with building regs part P, if you submit the paperwork to your local thingy you might well be the first diyer to do so.

NT

Try your local public library. If they don't have a copy on the shelf they may well be able to give you online access to the BSI (from a computer in the library).

John

Reply to
John Walliker

Or even from home (or anywhere else with a web connection I guess).

Via our county library services web site (Cambs) we can access a whole load of reference type stuff, inc the BSI

Reply to
chris French

Not in Surrey. For the last few months I have been getting this message from home, but the service is available from the library computers:

"British Standards are available for reference online at all Surrey libraries. Our apologies to users who have been accustomed to accessing British Standards from home. We regret that due to technical issues this is not possible at the moment, but efforts are being made to rectify this. If you need to print out part of a Standard, staff can arrange this for you through our Enquiries Direct service."

John

Reply to
John Walliker

Hey, thanks to all who replied.

I'll try the library, and might well be back to ask a few more questions if I can't get my head round it all.

Cheers

Reply to
smb