Fitting bathroom suite.

Decided to put something back into my house rather than breaking stuff this week. ;-)

Started with cutting the old copper pipes back that supplied the sink and toilet.

The cistern was rusted on it's screws so I smashed it off the wall into little bits. Opps I was meant to putting stuff back...

Filled some holes and gouges in the wall.

Anyway. Fitted some new pushfit to the copper to supply the sink and toilet (fitted service valves on all three pipes).

Got my respirator on to remove the old toilet pan, not a fan of drains smells. :-) Came straight off so one plus for someone previously fitting a new soil stack and internal plastic soil pipe complete with swiveling end piece.

Had to clean out the end of the swivel as it was a bit crusted with some "stuff".

Offered up the new pan and it fitted perfectly. Marked on the floor for the fitting bolts - these are an absolutely stupid idea (Wickes). Screw with a hole/eye in the flattened top so you can put that into the floor and then screw the bolt through the pan into them. Only problem is they go inside the base so I found every time I moved the pan to fit them when I put it back it wasn't in the same place. Five holes later they matched the holes in the pan base!

Tipped a bucket of water down the pan to find it didn't leak. :-)

The instructions for the cistern base securing screws and washers were very non de script being for half a dozen different cistern/toilet pan systems. Made a best guess despite having read and studied the leaflets for weeks. They didn't leak but the cistern fill pipe with it's washer and plastic nut pissed out water (haha) like a waterfall due to them saying to tighten it by hand to avoid stripping the threads/nut. Thank god for the service valve!! Refitted it with some plumbers putty stuff for good measure and tightened it with some grips despite the leaflets protests.

Reattached the supply pipe (solder against pushfit - I know which I prefer) and it didn't leak. Filled the cistern. The float is stupid as it sits in one corner but the flush pipe in the middle and obstructs it where ever you position it then it hits the side of the cistern when it fills. Settled on a slightly lower flush level to stop this being a problem. Flushes perfectly, no leaks and better by miles than the chocolate brown pan there before - put that outside for the neighbours to marvel at. ;-)

Just a slight problem with the push button flush as I cut the stick bit too short so have had to glue a bit back on and after trying it again today had to glue some more back on. :-) But I can live with it being glued as it's inside the button on the underside of the cistern lid so all it does is thread up into the top.

Not too bad for my first toilet replacement I thought?

Think I've lost or not had enough bits for the sink after looking at it more closely today. It's a half pedestal type but I don't see how you fasten the pedestal to the wall?

I've two big plugs and bolts/nuts for the sink basin but nothing I can see for the pedestal. Any ideas as to how it should fit?

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark

snipped

If it is anything like mine if you look behind it down at the bottom there will probably be two holes in the lugs through which you put screws to fix it to the floor Stuart

---------

Remove YOURPANTS before E-mailing Me

Reply to
Stuart

One piece of really good advice which came with my otherwise generally dodgy

3 piece suite: assemble the cistern and then test for water tightness, preferably outside, before final fitting.

I assembled everything and stood the cistern on my Workmate on the back patio. I found a Hozelock adapter which screwed onto the filler pipe and {Bingo!} cistern connected to mains water. I could then flush it to test it, and adjust the float etc.

No leaks because I fitted everything with silicone sealant, but I had to move the filler pipe a little, and angle the float, to stop it hanging up on top of the siphon. Fortunately the silicone sealant still did :-)

On my WHB (see previous despairing posts) I don't have the luxury of big plugs and bolts - just upward slanting screw holes which are as much use as a chocolate teapot on a bull. However the pedestal does not fix to the wall - it stands out from the wall by about 5 1/2". The one downstairs stands out by about 6 1/2". As Stuart says, it will probably screw to the floor at the back. If you are lucky iy may even fit snugly to the underside of your WHB. If not, tile grout and silicone sealant are your friends :-)

HTH Dave R

P.S. my biggest problem is keeping the damn toilet seat in place - it seems to keep slackening off the screws and then sliding sideways. I hope it is just the plastic washers bedding in :-(

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in news:bhicqo$11npc$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-122774.news.uni-berlin.de:

The OP appears to be talking about a half pedestal - they don't go down to the floor - think of a wall-mounted urinal turned round to face the wall. Therefore screwing to the floor is NOT an option. (Actually, not sure if I want that thought wandering round my head...)

Mind - I have no idea how to attach it either.

Rod

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

Thanks for the tips. The pedestal however is not one that goes to the floor it's a "fancy" one that is only half sized so it doesn't reach the floor - thought it might give the floor a less cluttered and more roomy feel as I bought the slightly bigger sink as the one in the showroom wasn't big enough to wash one hand in nevermind anything else.

So the sink fastens to the wall with two very big plugs/screws/bolts/washers but the half pedestal I couldn't figure out what or how it fastens to?

Crappy art below - sink=S pedestal=P wall=W

WSSSSS WSSSS WPPP WPP WP

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark

Thanks for that :-)

I've been putting off fitting our new toilet (+ other bathroom stuff) - excuse after excuse (in truth I'm just scared). SHMBO is finally losing patience and so on reading your post this morning I did just what you suggested (I'd never have thought of that - I'd have done the lot on-site)

- all worked just great - I feel a little more confident now.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Troy

snipped

I must admit to not reading properly ure original post and didnt se the "half pedestal" bit altho' Ive not heard of such a thing. Is it possible that it should be supported by brackets fitted to the wall.? Stuart

---------