Fitting bath. Tile first or fit bath first?

Can anyone help? Do I fit the bath first then tile? or do I tile then fit the bath? What are the disadvantages or advatages.

Is there a correct way?

Many Thanks Ian

Reply to
Ian Maguire

I leave the row above the bath until afterwards.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Yes - it's to search the archives of this group where you'll find this question answered many times :-)

(And the answer is bath first, by the way)

David

Reply to
Lobster

If I'm not too late I'd also like to suggest that you put additional load spreading timbers, like two 4 x 2's under the feet of the bath if possible.

My bath layed in the same direction as the joists hence two feet were on one floor board and two feet were on another floor board. With a full bath and 15 stone of body in it the floor boards would bend very slightly and over a few years there was a moving gap at the wall side of the bath.

Adding two 4 x 2's in the length dorection of the bath and under the feet spread the load better. Resealing the joint and it ain't moved since.

Chris.

Reply to
mcbrien410
15 stone of body and a full bath dont add up, unless you counted the water flooding through downstairs ceiling. Did you include the flood water ass wipe. If so make sure you fit the bath first then fit good quality bath seals then tile the floor to ensure ass wipes like mcbrien dont rent the place offa you!
Reply to
end user

forgot to say once you fitted the bath and fitted the tile seals tile the wall ,

Reply to
end user

Perhaps he meant it was full AFTER he got in ,having calculated how much water he needed not to let it overflow .. As for the rudeness..Give it a miss.

Stuart

I would go further and suggest you actually chase the edge of the bath into the wall a little as well. Then tile down to it. That way you add rigidity to the bath and eliminate any moisture trap between the wall and the roll edge of the bath.

Reply to
John Rumm

I always install in this sequence:

  1. Install bath on spreaders, levelled and then filled with water
  2. Run a good solid deep bead of silicone sealant between bath edge an wall
  3. Tile wall.
  4. Silicone again along bath edge and tiles.

The first bead acts as an extra protection measure if the bath is to b used as a shower too. Otherwise it is not worth putting in, as if it wa to come in to contact with water, then the bath is overflowing anyway!

Hope this helps

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy