Fitting Architrave ...Which Way ?

I am in the process of fitting skirting board in my bathroom .I am using this profile .

have architrave that I used previously and it has a very similar profile ..although narrower ( altho' I might use some of the skirting cut down to suit if I have enough left over) and I am having an argument with myself .

I am correct in thinking that the tapered edge goes towards the door space am I not so that it meets the dor stops. ?....if it makes any difference and I can't see why it should...the door opens outwards in to the hall so from the hall inwards you have Door/Door Stops/Architrave . Stuart

Reply to
Stuart B

Yes - tapered edge to the inside. IMHO it would look pretty odd the other way round, but I suppose you could do it that way... although it might impinge on the door opening fully at the hinge side.

David

Reply to
Lobster

> I have architrave that I used previously and it has a very similar

When used as skirting, you can use either the tapered side or the rounded side up, depending on preference. Whichever you *don't* use is hidden against the wall, next to the floor.

If you cut it down to make architrave, you again have a choice of whether you want the narrowed side to be tapered or rounded - personally I prefer rounded, but it needs to match everything else in the room.

The idea of architrave is to cover the gap between the door frame and the plastered wall. You fix it with the tapered or rounded edges facing inwards, with about 5 or 6mm of the inboard edge of the frame showing. The tapered or rounded edges also meet at the mitred corners. The square edge on the plaster side is ideal for papering up to, if you're papering the walls.

Reply to
Roger Mills

The door is on the outside of the portal which is about 6-7" deep and it opens outwards as the bath is just inside the door and would not allow the door to open inwards Thx for your help Stuart

Reply to
Stuart B

>>> I have architrave that I used previously and it has a very similar

I'm using it with the tapered edge showing as thats what the architave I have is like but,as I said ,if I have enough skirting left I'll cut it down so it all matches exactly

I had not realised you were supposed to leave a little of the door frame showing ....I was just going to fit it flush Thx for your help too Stuart

Reply to
Stuart B