Fitting an interior arch to replace a doorway

Dear wife wants to replace one of our interior doors with an archway. We have plasterboard stud walls, so no load issues. I've done a cursory look at the internet, and the most relevant site I found was this one:

Which is in the USA. (it came up in Google with the 'pages from the uk' selected).

Two questions: Does anyone have any UK based supplier information? Is this a straightforward DIY task, or do I need to get in a builder?

Reply to
John E

Start with this?

PeterK

I've seen pre-formed arches in sort of wire mesh which you then plaster over. A BM should be able to help. But that will require plastering skills. If it would be in keeping with the rest of the house a traditional cornice maker should be able to supply arches in a variety of styles.

Like this:-

Dave Plowman (News)

> Peter K

This is in the scope of DIY if there is nothing structural involved. If the opening is a standard width formers are readily available in metal mesh and plaster.

The main problem with semi-circular arches is getting the arch to flow into the upright at each side. This will look very bodgey if you leave a bump.

I've done both elliptical and semicircular but probably the easiest and cheapest way is to make your own former for an arch that leaves the doorway with a curved top but forms corners with the uprights. Not sure what this type of arch is called, but you don't have to flow the arch into the uprights.

What I've done is take two pieces of thick ply which are more than the width of the opening and of suitable depth to allow the profile of your arch to be cut out with a jig-saw. These are fixed in position either side of the door way at the height you want the arch. All level and square to each other of course.Now all you have to do is fill in the middle, screw in blocks of wood, nail in metal lathe, bulk it out with bonding plaster. Leave to set. Remove formers, finish and make good with fine coat plaster.

mark

Reply to
mark

>>> Peter K

Thanks all. Given my rather basic D-I-Y skills, I am particularly grateful for the warning about the risk of 'bodgey bumps'.

Reply to
John E