Fitting an in wall shower hose connector

Hi All,

We are renovating our bathroom and have gone for one of those designs where all the plumbing is "in the wall". I am now in the final stage and need t o fit the chrome outlet to which the shower hose is connected. In the wall I have a 1/2" elbow and the chrome outlet has a 1/2" brass thread to conne ct it to the elbow.

Now the problem....

Unfortunately, the thread on the outlet is a few mm too short. When I scre w it into place, the end of the thread doesn't quite hit the "seat" in the elbow before the chrome outlet hits the tiles. Also, the outlet when it hi ts the tiles is at an odd angle (ie not pointing vertically down). Also, i t doesn't seem to be possible to remove the thread from the chrome fitting to replace with a longer one.

So...

My question is... does the thread need to hit the end of the elbow thread/ "seat"? I am using thread tape so wondered whether this would be enough. I guess my logic is that even if it did sit into the elbow correctly, the c hances of the outlet being perfectly vertical is fairly slim so you would h ave to bring it out a bit anyway.....

Initially I thought I should extend the thread with a combination of a male to male coupling followed by a female to female coupling. In theory this would work but I am them worried about the number of joints in the wall and prone to leaking. This coupled with the fact that I would need to mastic t he hole in the wall to prevent water going back into the wall when using th e shower....

Anyone have any experience of fitting these?

thanks in advance

Lee.

Reply to
Lee Nowell

Hi All,

Not with those but I have had the same problem when fitting the chrome elbow onto a towel rail to take an immersion heater. Like your shower elbow it didn't tighten up at the same point that it pointed in the direction I needed.

I overcame the problem by using some plumbers goop that sets, thereby sealing the joint. It's been installed for 8 years now with no problems. Sorry, I cant remember what it was called.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

You mean like in the latter section of this refit?:

That's ok - its not supposed to.

No, you need to effect a seal on the threads instead. This will also allow you to choose the orientation you require as well.

Yup, you are overcomplicating it...

Easy way, get a roll of PTFE tape, and wind a good number of turns round the thread (perhaps 15 - 30). Do it so that the rear of the thread has more covering than the start (i.e. so the tape thickness tapers). Then screw it in. You need to do this by feel. If it does not tighten enough before hitting the tiles, remove and add more tape. If it locks solid before getting half way in, then remove some tape (its easier to "work up" to the required amount. When you get it "right" turning the fitting should be quite stiff as it approaches the correct and final position. Don't worry if its a mm or so away from the tiles, you can always silicone round the outlet.

If you can't get it right with tape, then get some Fernox LS-X sealer, give it a good coat of that and screw to the required position and leave to set.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks John. Yes that is the sort of one. So the thread tape should be sufficient? I haven't tried to other stuff you mention. Is it more effective that PTFE?

Thanks

Lee.

Reply to
lee

yup

What the LS-X? It will usually get you a seal in situations where its very tricky otherwise. Its a clear silicone like (quite "stiff") liquid.

John Rumm