Fitting an Airbrick sleeve

All the underfloor airbricks in my 1950s house have no sleeve through the cavity wall, there is just a brick missing on the inside wall. I want to ensure that they would not become blocked if I have cavity-wall insulation fitted. At the DIY store, I have seen two type of sleeve, a telescopic plastic type and a Terracotta type. Both types may be fiddly to install as the floor beams don't allow much room to manoeuvre the sleeve into place and secure it. Anyone have a better solution? Or could I just jam some rockwool into the cavity around the airbrick instead?

Dave

Reply to
logized

Would using Gripfill or other "Grabs like nails" type stuff help you secure a plastic one, without needing much access?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Christian, Thanks for your suggestion. One of my concerns is that the sleeve would also need to be supported on the airbrick side, so maybe I could also use that type of glue to stick a support of some sort to the outer wall to rest the sleeve on.

Dave

Reply to
logized

=============== You might find it easier in the long run to replace the old airbricks with new so that you can get your sleeves in from the outside. It's not really a big job and and if you do it before the cavity walls are filled with foam (or whatever) you won't have any problems at all.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Why not get a can of expanding foam squirt into cavity all round opening then trim back with a knife when its set, one instant void former-- well nearly....

Reply to
russell smith

Thanks Russell, I have a can of expanding foam that I bought in a sale a while ago, so I shall give it a go.

Dave

Reply to
logized