Fitting a toslink plug.

I need a couple of custom length toslink optical leads, and notice the instructions for fitting the plug say the cable must be cut with a cleaver. Is this a special tool at a vast price - or is there a cheaper way?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I wonder why? Just to get a perpendicular cut for maximum light transmission? To avoid burrs (though only for the same reason I suppose.)

Plastic pipe cutter. That'd be what I'd try.

Reply to
Scott M

The end should also ideally be polished smooth and flat. Although the TOS link needs on coupling efficiency aren't that great unless you're near the length limits.

You could try a sharp craft knife if your hand is steady enough, assuming plastic fibre optic cable. Glass cable, as far as I know, needs the correct tool, which Farnell are advertising for under a tenner.

Reply to
John Williamson