Fitting a replacement gas hob

Page 1 of 2  
I know this is a silly question, but to replace a gas hob with a new one. Do i simply turn the gas isolator valve next to the cooker to off(this is in the kitchen cabinet under the worktop below the boiler). Once ive removed the cooker which i'm also replacing, can i simply disconect the gas supply from the hob?
Ive obviously isolated the cooker circuit before doing this, but if the gas fitting on the hob is situated in a different place on the new one, can i use copper tube and compression fittings to extend it?
Ive seen people say only to use solder fittings, but is this really neccessary?
Also if I can use compression joints is there a substitute to PTFE tape?
Also when i disconnect the gas there will obviously be gas in the pipe from the isolating valve to the hob, any problems or recommendations with this?
thanks......
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 13:48:33 +0000, alan wrote:

seriously ask yourself just how competant you are to do the job?
--
Ed Sirett - Property maintainer and registered gas fitter.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (alan) writes:

The fact that you are asking these questions leads me to believe that you are not a "competent person" within the meaning of the law, and that you should get someone in to do this.
--
"The road to Paradise is through Intercourse."
The uk.transport FAQ; http://www.huge.org.uk/transport/FAQ.html
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I completely agree. If you NEED to ask questions like this you should not be messing around with gas appliances.
The word "BANG" comes to mind.
Get a CORGI reg guy in and pay him the 50 or so he asks for to guarantee your own and, more importantly others, safety.
Aside... you'll be breaking the law if you DIY.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Wrong as I understand it. DIY is fine providing that the person carrying out the installation is "competent".
Though I defer to the other responses which have already been given. Asking questions about how to do the gas jobbie isn't likely to lead to a conclusion of competence.
PoP
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

questioner knows enough to know what they don't know.
--
Chris Green ( snipped-for-privacy@x-1.net)

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Wrong. Has to be CORGI registered.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

I'm sorry, but *you* are wrong.
The law in the form of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, Section 3.1 requires that that anyone working on gas fitting is "competent". It does not define competence.
Other parts of Section 3 state (to paraphrase) that an employed or self employed person be a member of a class of persons defined by the HSE. This is the reference to CORGI since that is the only approved body. Nowhere does it state that *everybody* working on gas has to be a CORGI member, the statutory instrument quite clearly refers to professional fitters for that requirement.
Refer to
http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1998/19982451.htm
If you refer to the HSE site and studies on gas safety, you will find that they mention DIY gas work but do not find a pressing reason to legislate against it.
If you refer even to the CORGI site, (arguably they have the most vested interest), you will find that they only go as far as to say "likely to be illegal". That would be based on incompetence on the part of the person doing the work. If it really were illegal under *all* circumstances, I am quite certain that they would be trumpeting it.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Wrong. Doesn't.
And please look this up before replying.
--
"The road to Paradise is through Intercourse."
The uk.transport FAQ; http://www.huge.org.uk/transport/FAQ.html
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 12:47:29 +0000, PoP wrote:

related to the job in hand. We have the same type of discussion of electrical work. If someone asks which colour goes where they are probably needing some help with the subject. If they are asking about, say, how to add an intermediate switch for coridor lighting they obvoiusly are competant.
Its the same with gas if they start asking what fittings to use to connect a gas hob, or why can't they use plastic pipe then they are not competant. OTOH If they wanted to know how big a pipe to use for a 25kW boiler then it shows a basic knowledge of the subject.
--
Ed Sirett - Property maintainer and registered gas fitter.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Quite possibly,

When I tried this a few years ago I couldn't get anyone to do it. The only people who gave me prices both wanted over 150 quid and then never turned up. I ended up doing it myself with advice from this group.
Had it checked out 6 months later by my usual friendly corgi (who was on long term sick when I fitted the kitchen) when he did some other work for me.
If you can find a corgi to do it for 50 quid then fine.

Not going to get into that particular argument again :-)
As an aside, we had our meter changed a couple of weeks ago (BG fitting their own instead of paying transco). The letter said that a full integrity test would be carried out on my existing pipework before the new meter would be commisioned. This seemed to consist of spraying some leak detector onto the disturbed joints....
Darren
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

That's the main problem... finding a CORGI reg fitter. That's no excuse though. If, for instance, you complain to the inspectorate of the HSE they will say that you CAN find a fitter. He's called British Gas and although they agree that they are more expensibe than all the others it is an option and if it's the only option then you have to pay the price.
Wronmg I know but that's the way it is.

No argument... recent court cases have dictated that it is against the law - even if you are doing it in your own residence.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Do you have the case references to back that assertion up? I have trawled through the HSE's database of prosecutions but could find no clear instance of a competent DIYer being prosecuted. Most cases appear to be unregistered work done due to moonlighting by fitters registered by fact of employment, and pure unregistered fitters doing work for profit.
Even the HSE don't go as far as saying "any DIY gas work is illegal", which can be taken as a pretty good indication that interpretations of the relevant acts posted here are correct.
http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/index.htm
Look under Owner Occupier FAQs, "Is it legal to do DIY on gas appliances or flues?".
However, if a court case has set a precedence, we all need to know about it.
cheers Richard
-- Richard Sampson
email me at richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

and further evidence...
http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/fundgasg.htm
Paras 226 to 235
Richard
-- Richard Sampson
email me at richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
PJO wrote:

What recent court cases? I receive a summary of cases published on behalf of the Court Service, the Employment Appeal Tribunal, the British and Irish Legal Information Institute, the Court of Justice of the European Communities, and the European Court of Human Rights. Looking back through the last seven months I can't see one in any of those.
(before you ask IANAL)
--
Toby.

'One day son, all this will be finished'
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
PLEASE don't ask me to go looking for the case cos I just can't be arsed. You looked quickly though considering there must be thousands and thousands of cases in 7 months (!!!)
I do know there have been three successful prosecutions though two were private landlords and one was a guy who sold a house on when the gas fittings were dangerous. All this year.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

different rules apply to landlords AFAIK.

So he wasn't competent. Your point was?
Darren - arghhhh
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Firstly, please don't top post. It is bad Usenet etiquette and not in accordance with the group policy.
Secondly, it is well known that landlords are subject to specific conditions.
Thirdly, if you are going to be definitive about something, at least be prepared to justify it. Your comments above are weak. If there were thousands of cases in 7 months, I think this would have come to the attention of the HSE, don't you?
As it is, the issues, if there are any, are in the noise.........
It would appear that your signal to noise ratio, in respect of reliable information on this topic, is also quite poor........

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

To stick up for him a little I think he meant that there had been thousands of court cases - not that there had been thousands of court cases about diy gas fitting.
Darren
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

<snip>
Well, if you make such claims the onus is rather on you to support them with evidence. Others have provided evidence to the contrary on a number of occasions.
Richard
-- Richard Sampson
email me at richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.