Fitting a register plate

We're installing a woodburner and since I have some steel sheet and angle iron kicking around, I thought I'd try and keep the cost down by installing the register plate myself.

But while the back and sides of the chimney are relatively flat, the front wall (to the left on the pictures below) is an absolute shambles of broken bricks.

How would you set about fixing to that face? Fix to a couple of high points maybe and fill with mortar? Or is there another/better way?

And how high - or low - is the register plate meant to be fitted? Is there a best practice or is it just whatever's possible/easy?

Reply to
mike

Ours are both approximately level with the top of the mantlepiece.

I'd be tempted to try and clean up the course of bricks in the back wall where you need fixings using an sds hammer chisel then make good with mortar.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Fix front edge of registerplate to underside of front bricks with angle around the side back at the right level?

Don't think it matters that much it's to support the top of the stove pipe, hide the transition to liner and catch all the bits of brick mortar soot etc that will fall down the chimeny over time.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I took some bricks out of the chimney breast. Plenty of room to connect liner and slop in some fixing mortar.

Put them back after.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

When I did mine I simply used an angle grinder to cut a straight line/face into the very rough internal stonework face.

Certainly wouldn't attempt using an SDS to chisel stone work.

As long as you have the angle on the 2 sides to support the plate the gaps can be filled with fire cement or whatever. I didn't "fix" it to the front or back. More than anything it's just to seal up the chimney hole and support the flue laterally from what I could see.

Oh, I also put a nice curve in my aluminium chequerplate faceplate by putting it between some bricks and using the "foot former" i.e size 11 boot.

:)

Reply to
0845.86.86.888