Fitting a new extractor fan

I intend to fit a new extractor fan above my shower. This will be the type with ducting that ducts the extracted air through the loft and out of a vent in the eaves of the house.

How easy are these to fit? Can anyone give me a quick summary of what's involved?

Thanks in advance.

CM.

Reply to
Charles Middleton

It was not practical for me to go through the eaves, so I purchased a vent which replaced a couple tiles, and easy job. Works fine

Reply to
Broadback

I had a look at the outside of the house and I don't appear to have any eaves! Any advice on how I could vent the thing?

I'm thinking it may be easier to just replace the original wall mounted one with with a more slim line unit. The hole at the moment is approx 12cm which is just over inches. Looking at TLC Direct etc looks like most of the fans are around inch and they look a lot more slimline than this archaic unit!

It is acceptable to seal the back plate of the fan onto the wall with some silicon to give it a good seal? Is that the way to do it or can I just screw the thing onto the wall?

CM.

Reply to
Charles Middleton

Tile vent might work then...

Might be OK - where is the fan in relation to the shower?

They usually just screw to the wall... (often you screw a detachable backplate to the fan on first, wire it up, and then fix the fan to it)

Reply to
John Rumm

How easy is one of those to fit?

That's the problem, its diagonally opposite to the shower around 2 metres away. I think its better to have one above the shower.

CM.

Reply to
Charles Middleton

Not that difficult - but it helps if you can get to the outside of the roof in the right position.

I was actually asking the question from a slightly different viewpoint... in that electrical accessories sited above a shower or bath are subject to more stringent requirements in the wiring regs than those which are further away. There is some more detailed information here:-

an extractor the other side of the room will still make a big difference compared to having none at all, although it may not be quite as effective as an extractor directly over the shower.

Reply to
John Rumm

Hi, I planned to get one where the actually motor/fan was situated in the loft with just the ducting above the shower. I believe that these are safe to use over showers.

I think I'll just replace the current wall one with a new model as I don't have the guts to get onto the roof!!!

CM.

Reply to
Charles Middleton

Yes you are right - the ducted ones are OK. I was just checking that the current wall mounted one was not right over the shower.

If you position the vent near to the edge of the roof (say 3 or 4 tiles back) then you can do it all from a ladder without any need to get on the roof.

Having said that you will probably find the "through wall" one is good enough. I fitted one of these myself recently. It is in the oposite corner of the room from the shower, but is still able to clear the visible steam in a couple of minutes of the shower being turned off. On humid days like we are having at the moment, it will run on for a couple of hours after as the humidity comes down though. It is quiet enough to not be intrusive though. The unit is a 4" one with built in humidistat that I got from Screwfix.

Reply to
John Rumm