Fitting a hob

My hob is currently fitted with a flexible hose. I understand that this is fine so long as the hose hangs unstrained and doesn't come into contact with anything hot - I think 70 degC was the figure.

I need to move the hob, and will then be unable to use the hose without inserting a M-F elbow between the hose and the hob. Am I right in thinking that I want a malleable iron MF BSP 1/2" 90deg,

for example part 6377 on BES?

I also noted the existence of a restrictor, apparently specifically for hobs. The existing installation doesn't have one of these. Should this concern me?

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not planning on major gas works. I'm paying someone to install a new boiler for me. But I do have experience with water plumbing, and am happy making solder and compression joints. I also understand that the new joins will have to be checked very carefully for leaks. I know that I need to use a suitable jointing compound. I don't see how the insertion of a simple join can be beyond me. But I am very willing to listen if someone points out issues or dangers that I have not considered.

If anyone can suggest some good reading material on the theory and practice of gas, I'd be very grateful. I have a degree in Engineering, so it need not be that basic.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

Can you remove the existing bayonet connector along with a section of its pipework, and then it's just a case of installing another section of pipe with some new solder fittings. Like splicing a piece in to the existing installation.

Reply to
BigWallop

If someone is in doing gas work why not avoid doubt and bung him a tenner.

Lawrence

usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk

Reply to
Lawrence

a) I'm in no doubt that if I get the right part then I'll be able to fit it safely b) I'm sensible enough to ask someone rather than to try and bodge a connection if I end up with the wrong fitting. c) My plumber isn't in for a week, and it would be nice to have some hot food.

As it turned out, I got hold of the part, which fits perfectly, and now have a working hob.

I'll still show the plumber what I've done, not because I'm worried about it, but I might as well take the opportunity when he's round, mostly in case he has a better suggestion for how to achieve the same effect.

He's also offered to replace the bayonet with a butteryfly valve for me seeing as the gas will be off anyway, and let me do the rest of the pipework, which I will probably take him up on, so I can stick an oven underneath if I want to.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf